Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Awe sh#t!!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 534
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Awe sh#t!!!!

okay, things were moving along smoothly until I turned on the water for the immersion chiller. At first I thought that the outlet hose had whipped around and hit and stuck to the burner, when I pulled it free I realized that it was the inflow and was melted in half. It sprayed into the hot work (i'm not too worried about that) I Cut it off and turned the water off and reattached the shortened hose and finished up. Other than slicing my finger no major problem..

However when I poured the wort into the bucket I noticed that in the dregs there were some small black pellets. Then I realized that the bottom of my thermometer was broken! Yikes, although some were retained in the pot I'm sure that there are some in the bucket too.

Are they safe? or made out of lead? Arggggggg!!!!!!

__________________
Woolly Bugger Brewery

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???
woollybugger2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Diablo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybugger2 View Post
okay, things were moving along smoothly until I turned on the water for the immersion chiller. At first I thought that the outlet hose had whipped around and hit and stuck to the burner, when I pulled it free I realized that it was the inflow and was melted in half. It sprayed into the hot work (i'm not too worried about that) I Cut it off and turned the water off and reattached the shortened hose and finished up. Other than slicing my finger no major problem..

However when I poured the wort into the bucket I noticed that in the dregs there were some small black pellets. Then I realized that the bottom of my thermometer was broken! Yikes, although some were retained in the pot I'm sure that there are some in the bucket too.

Are they safe? or made out of lead? Arggggggg!!!!!!
What kind of thermometer ? A traditional thermometer contains mercury and is most definitely not safe. Worse than lead!
__________________
Diablo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
ericm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 210
Default

if you mean a floating thermometer like this:

then, yes; those little pellets are lead.

__________________
ericm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 534
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

yeah, like this

Austin Homebrew Supply

__________________
Woolly Bugger Brewery

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???
woollybugger2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Diablo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
if you mean a floating thermometer like this:

then, yes; those little pellets are lead.
If it's like the thermometer above you may be able to filter out the lead pellets but you need to check if the inner mercury tube is still intact.
__________________
Diablo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
ericm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
If it's like the thermometer above you may be able to filter out the lead pellets but you need to check if the inner mercury tube is still intact.
most cheap thermometers these days use alcohol or something along those lines in the tube instead of mercury. (if the liquid that expands with increasing temperature is red, it's not mercury; if it's silver it probably is)
__________________
ericm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 534
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

the tube is intact and the red liquid it alcohol, mercury has not been used in thermometers for quite some time, with the exception of scientific instruments....

__________________
Woolly Bugger Brewery

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???
woollybugger2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Diablo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
most cheap thermometers these days use alcohol or something along those lines in the tube instead of mercury. (if the liquid that expands with increasing temperature is red, it's not mercury; if it's silver it probably is)
So if it's red it may actually improve your brew
__________________
Diablo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 534
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

getting lead test kit now....

__________________
Woolly Bugger Brewery

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???
woollybugger2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 534
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

since they crack and shatter when squeezed in pincers, as opposed to squish, I'm going to assume that they are something other than lead....

__________________
Woolly Bugger Brewery

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???
woollybugger2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools