Aw crap, possible airlock contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
My wife just called me to tell me the plumbers needed to get around my carboy of fermenting ale and get into the crawlspace. I had visions of my wife trying lift the whole thing and sending beer and glass all over. Instead, the plumbers went around it and knocked the air lock off and replaced it right then and there. Crap! I'm guessing I'll probably be okay, due to the fact that it's been actively fermenting for two days with plenty of co2 build-up and a good layer of Kreusen on top. I asked her if the air lock was bobbing up and down and she said, yes, so there's still plenty of co2 being produced. Oh well, sh*t happens.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. It's no different than if the fermentation activity blew off the airlock.

Although there may have been some plumber crack sweat that fell into the fermenter. I hear it lends a subtle spiciness to the brew. ;)

Thanks for the moral support and reassurance! My only concern is that some type of debris stuck to the neck of the air lock when it hit floor.

Thanks for the moral support and reassurance! My only concern is that some type of debris stuck to the neck of the air lock when it hit floor.

Its really not that big of a deal even if something fell in once fermentation has been occuring and alcohol is produced

now i have a mental image of the airlock sticking out of plumbers crack, bubbling away :p

sure it's fine

Back