Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Avoiding exploding Beer Bottles!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
shanek17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Avoiding exploding Beer Bottles!?

Hey ladies and gentleman, I have a question thats regarding BEER!

Today I grabbed our empty beer bottles from around the house and boxed them up and stored them away, that way my roomates would not return them to the store. My plan is to re use these for homemade beer. But then I came across this on the internet and now im wondering if some of the bottles I grabbed are not thick enough glass to withstand the carbonation. Any thoughts on this ?

this is the bottle statement

"Bottle the beer in bottles that are designed for carbonation. Bottles that are safe for carbonation have a thick glass body; avoid using ones with twist-off caps because they are too thin and the caps will not properly seal. Also avoid using bottles with a capacity greater than 1 liter."

Read more: How to Fix Exploding Beer Bottles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8006240_fix-...#ixzz1s3vZnQzW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Most hombrewers who bottle are bottling, at least in part, in recycled beer bottles. They once held carbonated beer so they should be up to the task again. I bottle and all of my 400+ bottles are recycled. I have had only a single bottle bomb in about 8 months of brewing, a bottle of infected beer. I have overcarbed some cider so much that the bottle caps bulged outward but not a single bottle burst because of it (but I wouldn't suggest it as standard practice).

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

that article is pretty spot on

I use more priming sugar than 3oz though.
Screw tops aren't worth the effort.
cool dark storage is better for the beer. If cool dark storage makes a difference in exploding vs not exploding you are so over carbed
anyway that only luck, chance and unicorns are keeping them from blowing up in your face at random.

Most of your growler and larger than 1 liter bottles are for transporting already carbed beer.

one thing that the article doesn't mention is that the most important step is to not bottle while the beer is still fermenting.

Quick Reply