Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Autolysis Making Yeasty Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
ianofadams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Autolysis Making Yeasty Flavor?

So i just transferred a Raspberry wheat im making from primary to secondary, on to the raspberry puree, and before racking i took a reading. It tastes very yeasty. I am worried that this could have been caused by autolysis in the wort, and also worried it could have been caused by the yeast i pitched.

I was using wyeast 1007, pitched it, waited, and found no fermentation for around 4-5 days, even after taking a reading it was still at OG of 1.060... so i pitched a second yeast, wyeast 3944 to try and save the beer, it did begin fermenting, and lasted around a week or so. Is there a chance the first dead yeast made the beer taste that way? and if so is there anyway to change that? i would really not enjoy having had screwed up the whole batch. Forgive me if im panicking too early, was just excited for the taste till now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Autolysis in your situation is extremely unlikely.

That yeasty flavor will probably go away when you either, secondary a while, cold crash (if you do), and/or put the bottles in the fridge at least a few days after they've conditioned. The yeast will fall out to the bottom.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Possible, but I think contamination is more likely the cause. A wort that sits for 4-5 days without fermenting is likely to have some contaminant grow instead.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer
Possible, but I think contamination is more likely the cause. A wort that sits for 4-5 days without fermenting is likely to have some contaminant grow instead.
Why?
If initial sanitation is good and the vessel is properly sealed up there is very little to no risk of contamination.

If it was contaminated it would then certainly show signs of fermentation as whatever got in would be consuming the wort

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There are lots of different off-flavors that are associated with various types of contamination, but I've never heard of "yeasty" being one of them.

Typically, a beer tastes yeasty because there's an excess amount of yeast suspended in it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianofadams View Post
I was using wyeast 1007, pitched it, waited, and found no fermentation for around 4-5 days, even after taking a reading it was still at OG of 1.060... so i pitched a second yeast, wyeast 3944 to try and save the beer, it did begin fermenting, and lasted around a week or so
What is your basis for "found no fermentation"? What is the current gravity reading?

Autolysis is extremely unlikely. 1.060 isn't enormous but it wouldn't surprise me that yeast were still in suspension working on it.

Does your OG count the sugars in the raspberries? That is a huge slug of sugar, highly fermentable, and it will take your yeasts a while to chew through that. It will be a few weeks.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think the beer is simply just too young still. You gotta give the yeast time to finish up and clean up the byproducts of fermentation. I think it just needs more time.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
I think the beer is simply just too young still. You gotta give the yeast time to finish up and clean up the byproducts of fermentation. I think it just needs more time.
+1. This ^^^^ too.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianofadams View Post
so i pitched a second yeast, wyeast 3944 to try and save the beer, it did begin fermenting, and lasted around a week or so.
So adding more yeast isn't what you'd account for a yeasty taste with it? Instead you go for one of the rarest/worst case scenario there is...

If it were autolysis, it would taste like gorilla poop left in a diaper on the side of a desert road at noon, after a week in the sun...you would KNOW if it had autolysis...

How long has it been since you pitched the second yeast? The yeasty taste is more than likely just all the excess yeast you have in suspension.

Give it time. It'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

doornumber3 Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 147

[QUOTE=Revvy;5136648]

If it were autolysis, it would taste like gorilla poop left in a diaper on the side of a desert road at noon, after a week in the sun...you would KNOW if it had autolysis...
QUOTE]

This is priceless!!
I might just have to quote this as a tag line.
Seriously, it might be the beer, but I think I may have peed myself a little.

Quick Reply