Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Austin Homebrew - Difference between "Gold Seal" Extract Kits and others

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Boston Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjam
No not at all good question....They want you to do a 2.5 gal. boil .....however I always do a full boil because I think the beer turns out better...but 2.5 gal will work fine
Yeah...I've heard that, but I don't really have a means of cooling a full 5 gallon boil quickly. Just ice water in the sink/bathtub for me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #12
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

Crap, I just placed an order for an AHS pumpkin ale extract kit. I wish I knew that all you needed for a mini-mash was to keep the temp at 155. I thought you needed more equipment when all you need is time? Ah well...

Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
BigNick73
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Blanco
Is the alcohol booster pack just dextrose?
yup sure is.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick73
yup sure is.

No. It is not simply corn sugar. Who told you that? Just curious.

It is a different type of corn sugar with a very high maltose and glucose content. You will not acheive the same results just using corn sugar.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
bayoubabsy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Blanco
Crap, I just placed an order for an AHS pumpkin ale extract kit. I wish I knew that all you needed for a mini-mash was to keep the temp at 155. I thought you needed more equipment when all you need is time? Ah well...
You're going to love the pumpkin ale! I got this a couple of months ago from AHS, and it is my favorite so far. I only put in 2 small cans of pumpkin puree that I got from the grocery store. I really can't identify a pumpkin flavor when I drink it, so you may want to put a little more than that in. I just didn't want an overpowering pumpkin flavor.... it turned out real nice-the spices come through and it has a beautiful orange hue.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
No. It is not simply corn sugar. Who told you that? Just curious.

It is a different type of corn sugar with a very high maltose and glucose content. You will not acheive the same results just using corn sugar.
As the proverbial horse's mouth, can you answer my original question and explain the differences between your kits?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

The Gold Seal kits are made for beginners to eliminate the problems many beginners have.

1. The price is lower than our regular kits. I wanted the kits to be similar in price to the canned kits that are available but the Gold Seal kits will taste much better.
2. The powdered add pack in the kit keeps the batch light in color, adds body, and has yeast hulls included to make sure there is a healthy fermentation.
3. I have kept the recipes simple and I didn't push the boundries of the style so it would be enjoyed by the beginners friends who are scared of homebrew.
4. I used dry yeast for the ease of use and to make sure the batch starts fermenting without having to do a starter.
5. I eliminated as many options as possible because I wanted the only decision to make is "what type of beer do I want".
6. These kits are a gateway kit to move canned kit people into real beer kits.
I have customers that think that the real kits would be too complicated. This makes the transition easy.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
The Gold Seal kits are made for beginners to eliminate the problems many beginners have.

1. The price is lower than our regular kits. I wanted the kits to be similar in price to the canned kits that are available but the Gold Seal kits will taste much better.
2. The powdered add pack in the kit keeps the batch light in color, adds body, and has yeast hulls included to make sure there is a healthy fermentation.
3. I have kept the recipes simple and I didn't push the boundries of the style so it would be enjoyed by the beginners friends who are scared of homebrew.
4. I used dry yeast for the ease of use and to make sure the batch starts fermenting without having to do a starter.
5. I eliminated as many options as possible because I wanted the only decision to make is "what type of beer do I want".
6. These kits are a gateway kit to move canned kit people into real beer kits.
I have customers that think that the real kits would be too complicated. This makes the transition easy.
Awesome. Thanks! Received your American Brown Ale kit yesterday and planning my first brew this weekend!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Forrest,

Just a thought (you're in the business and I'm not, so take this with a grain of salt): you may want to rename the kits so that it's clear that it's for beginners and it's more foolproof than the other kits. "Gold Seal" sounds like some kind of premium upgrade.

Also...what are yeast hulls?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #20
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Forrest,

Just a thought (you're in the business and I'm not, so take this with a grain of salt): you may want to rename the kits so that it's clear that it's for beginners and it's more foolproof than the other kits. "Gold Seal" sounds like some kind of premium upgrade.

Also...what are yeast hulls?

Thanks for the suggestion. It was very hard to come up with a name that wasn't already taken. I think I just need more info on the kits.

Yeast hulls are the outer shells of dead yeast that act as a yeast nutrient. Servomyces is a popular form of yeast hulls infused with zinc.

Quick Reply