Attracting Bugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigy

Reaction score
When I first moved into my apartment 6-7 months ago we had a centipede problem where we would see a few every week. We finally got it taken care of and I recently started home brewing with a Hanukkah gift I received earlier in the week. My question is if the fermenting process or the process of home brewing in general will attract bugs and possibly force them out of hiding if they are in the walls, etc?

I can't find any information about it and it doens't seem like its ever been a problem, but its something that just popped into my head and honestly I'd prefer not to see the centipedes in the apartment again.

It's technically sugar water until the yeast eat it, but there will be some sugars that remain. As long as you keep your area clean, you shouldn't have any issues. Just be sure to clean up any spills.

That's the main concern. Keep spills cleaned up. The smells from the airlock won't attract them. Spilled food will,basically.

Fruit flies are attracted to fermentation, i mean thats how they find rotten food to eat.

So make sure your area is free of fruit flies or that your airlock is good and sanitized :)

Yea, fruit flies are pretty much impossible to keep out. I just try to stay as clean as possible (spills, drips from taking gravity readings, etc) and make sure I use gin in my airlock in case one sneaky fly gets into the airlock holes.

Fruit flies are attracted to fermentation, i mean thats how they find rotten food to eat.

So make sure your area is free of fruit flies or that your airlock is good and sanitized :)

That's what I've found- fruit flies will come in during the fall, when we're harvesting our tomatoes. And if you spill wort under the washing machine (don't ask!), you WILL see ants a week later. :eek:

Thanks for the quick help/responses everyone!

You have put most of my fears aside - I will just watch for any spills and make sure to clean them ASAP.

Ethylene gas will attract them. Basically that means things are going well out the door.

Back