Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #51
pvburton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wow, glad I finally caught this thread. I have been doing this for 3 years now, only 2-3 AG batches a year, and my efficiency calcs have been all over the place. I've just been taking a quick reading pre-boil and convert to a post boil reading, no stir.

My most recent batch's reading was way low, despite one of the sweetest vorlaufs ever (I always gotta taste) so I'm kinda panicing since my BU:GU is way out of whack (also boiled the flavor hops a bit too long-- didn't double check the spreadsheet).

Now I think I can relax a bit :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #52
WyattsWingShooter
Recipes 

After doing some research and reading this thread my worries were premature. As a new brewer I made the classic mistake of taking my sample right after I topped off with water and before I shook up the carboy. Thanks to everybody on this forum for the great info and I'll drink to a new great hobby I have discovered!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #53
Thorad
Recipes 

I recently brewed up a brown ale using a partial mash kit from my LHBS.

This is only my fifth brew, but I've been always able to hit my OG/FG within a point or two. But with this brew, I missed the OG by around 8 points. The recipe called for 1.058 and I was at 1.050.
I assumed that I just didn't get all the sugars out in the mash (my mash temp stayed a little higher than I wanted, around 160) or maybe some effect caused by the piloncillo sugar in the recipe.

I assumed that I would end up with a beer that had less ABV than the recipe stated. But to my surprise, when I took a gravity reading after fermentation, it had dropped 40 points to 1.010. That's the same 40 points that the recipe showed (1.058 to 1.018)

I'm not panicking, but I am curious to understand what happened, so can make corrections next time. I suppose it could be due to the stirring issue talked about on this thread, but I followed basically the same procedure I used for my previous brews. Plus that really wouldn't explain the lower FG too.

So I have two questions.
1. What could have caused the OG/FG to be off but still keep the difference between them the same?
2. What difference, if any, would this brew have then one where the OG/FG was spot on?

This board has been a great help, and I welcome any thoughts from the experts here. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #54
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorad View Post
I recently brewed up a brown ale using a partial mash kit from my LHBS.

This is only my fifth brew, but I've been always able to hit my OG/FG within a point or two. But with this brew, I missed the OG by around 8 points. The recipe called for 1.058 and I was at 1.050.
I assumed that I just didn't get all the sugars out in the mash (my mash temp stayed a little higher than I wanted, around 160) or maybe some effect caused by the piloncillo sugar in the recipe.

I assumed that I would end up with a beer that had less ABV than the recipe stated. But to my surprise, when I took a gravity reading after fermentation, it had dropped 40 points to 1.010. That's the same 40 points that the recipe showed (1.058 to 1.018)

I'm not panicking, but I am curious to understand what happened, so can make corrections next time. I suppose it could be due to the stirring issue talked about on this thread, but I followed basically the same procedure I used for my previous brews. Plus that really wouldn't explain the lower FG too.

So I have two questions.
1. What could have caused the OG/FG to be off but still keep the difference between them the same?
2. What difference, if any, would this brew have then one where the OG/FG was spot on?

This board has been a great help, and I welcome any thoughts from the experts here. Thanks!
Check your hydrometer. These can become uncalibrated. Drop it in some plain water - if it does not read 1.000 (like mine just quit doing), then you just found your issue.

If the gravity truly is off on both ends, you'll simply have a slighly drier, thinner beer.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorad View Post

So I have two questions.
To certain extent your yeast doesn't care what the gravity is. Its going to attenuated a certain percent and that's it. If I make a Russian Imperial that starts off at 1.100, it may only go down to 1.025-1.030. If pitch the same strain on something that started around 1.080, my FG will be down in the teens.

Or, your hydrometer is off.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #56
Thorad
Recipes 

I thought about that, maybe my hydrometer is off by 8 points. But then my other brews should have all been wrong too.

Anyway, I stuck it in some tap water and it read 1.000

Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
Thorad
Recipes 

Racked this brew yesterday and the sample I tried seems really good, so I'm not worried about how it will turn out.
I'm really just curious to understand the science/chemistry that led me to have the same point drop but shifted on the gravity scale.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #58
Thorad
Recipes 

bump

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Nice pro-active approach Revvy.......

Next you should do the. "my airlock is not bubbling". post
lol +1
"oh, it is broken. They are cheap and break easily. Go get a new one and the bubbling should restart furiously."

Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #60
SKuyken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't believe I haven't thought of this or seen this post before. This probably explains several batches where I have been under the target OG. Now I wish I didn't added more DME to boost it.

All about beer:
http://helpermonkeybrews.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply