Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #21
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Was brewing for years then took off about 7 yrs and recently got back into it. Had very same issue and lhbs had me add more malt. Will back sure it ferments down but great post. Enough for me to sign up as a member. I like proactive people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
ryno84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I ran into this problem last night while brewing my first Porter. It was my fifth brew, and first time i did not hit the correct range for OG. Recipe called for OG in the neighborhood of 1.050 and I got my initial reading of 1.072. It was extract with top off. I mixed it around for only like 1 minute then took my initial reading. I then aerated with O2 and took another reading. That was 1.068.

Its not a big deal because I am going to drink it anyways. My only real question is how will i know what the alcohol content will be? Should I just assume the OG is around 1.050? Or should I drink 4-6 bottles when it is ready and try to judge how big my headache is the next day?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Ifit's extract with grain, and your volume is correct, the ACTUAL og is what it should be. It can't be anything other with extracts. You are not converting anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
bk0
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It's not impossible at all. I've done three kits so far and every one had an OG that was right on the money.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I pretty much always assume that no matter what my OG reading is, its pretty damn close to whatever the recipe called for. From my understanding, its pretty hard to miss the OG by much with an extract recipe.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
ScoRas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've been moving towards full boils (maxing out with 5 gallons to start the boil, then topping off with about a gallon of spring water to make up for the loss to steeping grains and boil-off), and I've been finding it easiest to just measure the OG pre-topoff, and adjust the reading to my dilution factor.

Primary - hopbursted Bohemian Pilsner

http://hopville.com/recipe/1687697

philipmeese Likes This 
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
ryno84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the responses. I now understand that it is pretty hard to mess up the extract numbers because there is no conversion, as Revvy stated. And full boil is one of the goals, but getting a fermentation chamber setup is first. (hopefully this weekend).

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0 View Post
It's not impossible at all. I've done three kits so far and every one had an OG that was right on the money.
That's also been my experience for years.
I'd be real interested to watch exactly what people are doing that make the reading so far off.
Youtube maybe?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've been stirring (as many as 200 stirs) and still get a slightly high reading - about .003 - .004 off. I could stir longer, but I don't see any real advantage. Is there anything wrong with just using the kit specified gravity? I've already aerated, so I was thinking of backing off to 100 stirs and accepting an even greater discrepancy. The sooner the fermenter is covered and sealed, the better I like it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
I've been stirring (as many as 200 stirs) and still get a slightly high reading - about .003 - .004 off. I could stir longer, but I don't see any real advantage. Is there anything wrong with just using the kit specified gravity? I've already aerated, so I was thinking of backing off to 100 stirs and accepting an even greater discrepancy. The sooner the fermenter is covered and sealed, the better I like it.
There's nothing wrong at all with just using the kit gravity for an extract batch. Fermentation will mix water and wort together just fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply