The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Assumptions, are they correct?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
HerrRolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Assumptions, are they correct?

Just racked my first batch into the 5 gallon carboy today. Here are some observations I made and some assumptions. What do you all think?

1). From the primary, the beer (a red ale) had the look of a cappuccino. I assume this is that hazy, cloudy look everyone talks about and the secondary fermenter will take care of?

2). It smelled like beer, but the taste was a bit mild/weak. I assume the bottling/carbonation will fix this?

3). There is about 4 inches from the neck (about 1/2-3/4 gallon worth) of headspace in the carboy. I assume this won't be too much headspace b/c I had 5 gallons in the primary bucket (of course, not all was racked due to the trub layer).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HerrRolf; 06-07-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1. yes, it'll clear in secondary.

2. carbonation and proper temperature change a beer, as does time. would need to see the full recipe to know if there's still potential for 'thin body/mouthfeel' once its aged and carb'd.

3. headspace isn't that huge of a concern, just be gentle, no shaking...no aeration. it'll gas off some CO2 and form a blanket anyways.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

But be aware that it will never be as clear as a commercial beer, which is filtered and pasteurized.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always think that my beer tastes weak/watery before carbonation, but I've never thought that about it once it's properly bottled and carb'd. I'm learning to better judge the flavor out of the primary with that in mind.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply