Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The appropriate amount of carbonation for a porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
bmellis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The appropriate amount of carbonation for a porter

I will be bottling a london porter soon and I've been thinking about how I want it to turn out. I like my dark beers to be a little warmer when I drink them and with less carbonation, kind of like a cask conditioned ale. Every recipe, including the kit I have, says to put a 2/3rd cup of dextrose into the bottling bucket. I'm wondering if you all have any opinions about obtaining the appropriate level of carbonation for the porter style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Force Carbonation & Carb Table

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

John Palmer's book has a great chart for helping determine carbonation, as follows:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming Solutions

Use a straight edge to make a line from the temperature you want, over to the carb level you want (middle column.) Keep following it from there and it'll show you how much priming sugar to add for a 5 gallon batch.

It's also handy that there is a list of recommended ranges for various beer styles. (This chart is one of the handiest brewing tools I've come across in recent months.)

Quick Reply