Apple juice best for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I understand that EdWort uses Tree Top. I am in NY and its not available here. Mostly a west coast brand. So what is most commonly used? There are SO many apple juices that say 100% juice, but some are from concentrate some are not. There are alot of different factors that allow people to say their product is 100% juice then you read the side and it says 15% real fruit juice. I just dont want to ruin my first batch. Any wal mart brands you use?

The only real factor you want to watch out for is preservatives. They're a no-no, as they will most likely kill any yeast you put in there.

I've used Tree Top, Wal Mart's Great Value brand, and a few others. As long as it's 100% juice (from concentrate or not, doesn't make a huge difference) with no preservatives other than ascorbic acid (vitamin C) you'll be fine.

I buy the cheapest one that is 100% apple juice. Ingredients listed "apple juice, ascorbic acid", those are he only acceptable things (water or from concentrate are OK too). I haven't gotten into which brand is best, I just buy the cheapest stuff and sometimes even mix brands if I buy out the store.

Has anyone used the Costco branded juice? I believe it is not from concentrate, has no preservatives, and has been pasteurized. It seems like a convenient standard juice accessible to many.

Has anyone used the Costco branded juice? I believe it is not from concentrate, has no preservatives, and has been pasteurized. It seems like a convenient standard juice accessible to many.

If it says 100% juice, I'm sure someone's used it and gotten great results. There are so many more important things you could be worried about (sanitation, fermentation temps, etc...) than the brand. It's juice. It comes from apples. It has no preservatives. It's good to go.

I'm using Old Orchard, but I can't attest to any flavor since all 10 gallons is still fermenting (nothing killed the yeast though).

It lists more than just Juice + absorbic, but I honestly think that any other juice not listing more is lieing to you (other than an organic brand, but even then). Pretty sure they don't have to list certain things under a %'age.

Edit: I get weird looks sometimes, buying 5 gallons of apple juice and a huge bottle of the cheapest vodka for my air locks.

I am currently using the CostCo brand. This is the one that is pressed juice, not the one from concentrate. However, I can't tell if it is good yet, since it's only been fermenting since last Monday. I will let you know in about 8 weeks.

I have used White House and Publix organic apple juice with great success in my Honig-Apfelwein.

For example, there are at least 6 different brands of juice in this pic

CIMG2400.JPG

It really doesn't matter for this IMHO. After all it is prisonhoochfulwein :D

It really doesn't matter for this IMHO. After all it is prisonhoochfulwein :D

+1... it just doesn't matter too much. I think I've done 5 different variations of Apfelwein - using everything from concentrate to fresh cider to generic discount apple juice. All have been good. Apfelwein is hard to screw up, and it lends itself to easy experimentation - so go for it.

We also have no Costco in NY... I have Natures Nectar, it says 100% apple juice the ingredients are water, apple juice concentrate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) which are all great, but it has ONE more ingredient Malic acid (to control PH). Is this ok?

Back