Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Apfelwine question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Ernie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Apfelwine question

Just curious, I am going to do Edworts exact recipe(with the Montrachet yeast). I was wondering at what temps. does this need to ferment?? I want to keep it in my basement due to the "RHINO" farts I have heard about.

My basement right now is in the low 60's, after the fart phase I can always move it upstairs where it will be no cooler than 65 till' spring.

I just figured I would post this here because it would get more traffic. If it has to get moved I will understand.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you are going to do the recipe to the exact then make sure the yeast that you use can take the temps that are in your basement. I for one think you should be alright. You might not get a real active fermentation and it should take a little while longer due the the cool temps. Good luck. I did the recipe but used Wyeast 3068 (Wheat Yeast) with it. It has been in the keg aging for 8 months now. I plan on serving it around the 1st of the year.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
If you are going to do the recipe to the exact then make sure the yeast that you use can take the temps that are in your basement. I for one think you should be alright. You might not get a real active fermentation and it should take a little while longer due the the cool temps. Good luck. I did the recipe but used Wyeast 3068 (Wheat Yeast) with it. It has been in the keg aging for 8 months now. I plan on serving it around the 1st of the year.
Thanks, thats pretty much what I am wondering about(the temps)...Good luck with yours.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
atromic
Recipes 

Be prepared for a loooong fermentation at those temps. Mine has been sitting at 60-63 for almost 5 weeks now, and the airlock is still bubbling a couple times a minute.

I used his exact recipe as well.

Pear Wine, Apfelwein, White Grape + Peach Wine

Bottle'd :
Ed's Robust Porter, This is my Haus Ale, Gone in 60 Seconds IPA, Hooked on ESB, Apfelwein

Old 11-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atromic View Post
Be prepared for a loooong fermentation at those temps. Mine has been sitting at 60-63 for almost 5 weeks now, and the airlock is still bubbling a couple times a minute.

I used his exact recipe as well.
I am in no rush, I actually plan on carbing it after it's done fermenting, and letting it bottle condition until summer.

I googled that yeast and saw a couple of links that said it was good from 50 degree to 86 degrees. 50 sounds awfully low to me, but I don't know much about it.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wine yeast (such as the Montrachet) has a huge operating range, because our enologist brethren are somewhat like the Belgians in their tweaking of temps during a ferment. My uncle is a pro winemaker and he does these cold ferments at 52, ramping the temps up to the upper 70's over a four week period, to develop different flavors without using wood. It's crazy.

Bottom line, you're gonna be fine, if slow. It'll still smell like the southbound-end of a northbound Rhino.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post

Bottom line, you're gonna be fine, if slow. It'll still smell like the southbound-end of a northbound Rhino.
That's Funny!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
gecko45
Recipes 

I made my first batch of apfelwein with ambient temperatures of around 64-65, and didn't notice any off odors at all, but it did seem to take a couple of weeks longer for it to clear. I followed the recipe exactly, w/ montrachet and 2# dextrose. I've also read that adding some yeast nutrients will prevent the rhino farts.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko45 View Post
I made my first batch of apfelwein with ambient temperatures of around 64-65, and didn't notice any off odors at all, but it did seem to take a couple of weeks longer for it to clear. I followed the recipe exactly, w/ montrachet and 2# dextrose. I've also read that adding some yeast nutrients will prevent the rhino farts.
Did you add the yeast nutrients?? If so what did you use? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm... thinking a bit about this, I wonder if the rhino farts are caused by stressing out the yeast, since the OG of the apfelwein can be fairly high and we usually only pitch one packet of yeast. Perhaps pitching two packets, and adding in some yeast nutrient, would make a difference? Not as simple as the given recipe, but certainly not a real challenging change, either...

I'm just spitballing here, folks.

My plan is to actually use Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast in my next batch, which I am scheduled to begin in a few weeks. There is such a thing as too much apfelwein, folks: I have just over 3 gallons serving in my kegerator, and another 5 in the carboy that will be ready to serve at Christmas. I figure if I start a new batch every 3-4 weeks, that will keep the apfelwein pipeline full!

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Last edited by khiddy; 11-26-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply