Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndOfTheWorldBrewing

Reaction score
Just put together what I think is Apfelwein what are your thoughts.

4 gal apple juice 9 apples had them laying around
Champagne yeast 1 packet dry.

Thanks

Does anyone know champagne yeast fermentation time. I was wondering when I should bottle I know the rule check with a hydrometer bu mine broke. Any ideas. There is absolutely no activity in carboy whatsoever. The apple juice went from light to darker in color.

Here's EdWort's notes on his Apfelwein recipe:

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)

Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging, then let it sit even longer.

You can read the full post here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

Back