anything happen with shaking krausen back down during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Anyone know if anything happens if you move the carboy while there is still krausen on top, and moving it causes everything to splash a bit such that the krausen gets pushed back down into the wort/beer?

Thanks./

You want the krausen to fall to the bottom. Sometimes if i cant get the krausen to fall i will tilt the fermenter just a bit so that it shakes the beer and helps the krausen to fall. However you do want to be carefull not to splash a lot. that would cause oxidation which is bad.

Oxidation of beer will not occur with a slight bit of swirling, or even stirring if it becomes necessary (such as in stuck fermentations). Simply removing your bucket lid or carboy cap is not going to oxidize your beer. You defintely need to be careful with splashing, anything that causes bubbles can introduce oxygen into your beer.

As Mad Milo states, there is a blanket of co2 over your wort/beer, and usuually this is protecting your beer from oxygen.

As Revvy states, unless you were to unload an entire dispoable red oxygen bottle into your beer, you needn't worry about oxidation.

I won't say it is a myth, but it is highly unlikely that you will have any oxidation issues. Having said that, oxidation becomes a problem with storage. Most will probably drink their beer long before off-flavors from oxidation will occur.

+1 oxidation is an issue during storage and aging, not fermentation. Yeast metabolize O2.

Back