anyone use a strainer for wort to fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
Does anyone pour there wort from the pot, through a strainer (sanitized thoroughly) and into the fermenting bucket/carboy? I did it to limit sediment, and hope for clearer beer later. Is that accurate logic? Will it hinder the flavor?

I use to do it all the time. I now whirlpool and use a drain valve on my pot. I had a fine mesh strainer that fit in my funnel. It would catch alot of the sediment and produced pretty clear beer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using it!

I fully agree. I do not use secondary fermentation, only primary. In order to get a clearer beer I do the following: 1) longer boil to further breakdown proteins, 2) Irish Moss in the last 15 min to attach to particles, 3) pour through a strainer sitting atop cheesecloth sitting atop a big colander. Works fairly well, less time to wait to enjoy the brew.

I use a strainer and think my beers turn out pretty damn good. Of course, I've never tried a side by side comparison...

In addition to limiting the amount of hops and break material going into the fermenter, it will also help aerate the wort.

Does anyone pour there wort from the pot, through a strainer (sanitized thoroughly) and into the fermenting bucket/carboy? I did it to limit sediment, and hope for clearer beer later. Is that accurate logic? Will it hinder the flavor?

I've actually used my transfer pump to pump the wort through a 10micron filter on the way to the fermentor.

I'm on my first batch and I used a strainer too. although the one I had in the kitchen wasn't near fine enough so I went out and bought a finer one for my next batch.

Yeah, I use a paint strainer bag that I got from HD. I only started this about three or four batches ago. There seems to be about a 75% reduction in sediment in the bottles that I've seen so far. My last batch was a Texas Wildfire Relief IIPA. I dry hopped with 2oz of hops. I may use a bottling bucket this time. That depends on how lazy I feel at bottling.

When I pour from the kettle to the bucket I use a 5 gallon paint strainer. I also have only whole leaf hops ao I have to do something.

:Lookstoseeifanybodyiswatching:
Pour, pull, and squeeze like crazy to reclaim my wort.

Back