Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anyone successful with peanut butter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
nigel31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone successful with peanut butter?

Hi,

I've been wanting to brew a peanut-butter/chocolate stout (as have many, apparently) for ages now; trouble is that I can't find anyone who's truly been successful with a method of incorporating the flavor of peanut butter (PB) into a brew.

Plenty have tried real, defatted PB, or used PB2 (a powdered PB product), or have used peanut or PB extract, but no one has said, for the record, that they've used *this* or *that* in *this* quantity with success (or provided tasting notes).

I'm gearing up to brew up a small (2.5- or 3-gallon) all-grain batch using PB2 and/or PB extract (if I can find it, I'd use it at bottling), but just wondering if anyone here can "be the hero" and say definitively that this works or that doesn't.

Anyone?

It'd be greatly appreciated...and you'd be a god among men.

Cheers,
Nige

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could try some of this stuff;
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...er-flavor-1-oz

Its artificial flavour, not an extract I don't think?). and, it's nut free, for anyone with allergies!

Last edited by StittsvilleJames; 01-25-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Up 'til now, I have avoided even thinking about anything that could be oily. But the thought of a dry-roasted nut flavor to a stout sounds appealing. Thanks for sparking that imponderable. (As if I need more brew-thoughts in my head)

Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I used 6 jars of PB2 & 8 oz late baker's chocolate additions in a recipe based on the Northern Brewer Milk Stout kit. It's got some intense PB flavor, but kinda masks the chocolate addition. However, it did take an honorable mention in a HB Competition I entered it in under the specialty beer category.

If I were you, I'd formulate a stout recipe coming in around 7.5% ABV. Mine was only 5.5% & definitely didn't have enough malty sweetness.

Maybe something like...

OG 1.087
FG 1.028
IBU 33
Color 43.9 L

Grain Bill
- .75 lb Chocolate steep 30 min
- .25 lb Extra Dark Crystal steep 30 min
- 12 lbs Dark LME boil 60 min
- 1 lb Lactose boil 60 min

Hop Schedule
- 1.5 oz Cluster 60 min
- .5 oz Cluster 30 min

PB2/Chocolate Additions
- 13 oz PB2 30 min
- 13 oz PB2 15 min
- 4 oz Baker's Chocolate 15 min
- 13 oz PB2 5 min
- 4 oz Baker's Chocolate 5 min
- 8 oz Baker's Chocolate or Cocoa Powder 14 days in secondary

Yeast
- Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

If I ever brew mine again, this would be a starting point for a recipe with the adjustments included from my experiences the first time around. Just be prepared to filter when dumping from the kettle to the primary. The PB2 tends to clump together in the boil.

This is for a 5 gallon extract version. It was only my second brew & I have an electric stove, so I couldn't go all-grain for mine. Also, the head retention was only so-so. The judges in the competition were actually pretty surprised at the head retention it had based on the amount of PB2 in the recipe...could have been a lot better though in my opinion.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used 2 jars of PB2 from Bells in my 5-gallon chocolate stout. One in the boil and one in secondary. The flavor at the end of primary was all chocolate and no peanuts. The single one in secondary added a decent amount of flavor but I had used too much cocoa powder.

When I do it again, it'll be 2 jars in secondary and I'll mash at 156-158 and add a lot more crystal malt to bring the sweetness up a ton. Cocoa powder gives that great deep flavor, but I think it's much too dark for the peanutbutter cup combo. Sweetness is definitely needed to bring that authenticity to it.

The biggest problem I had was sanitizing the PB Powder before adding to secondary. I tried soaking it in vodka but the amount of vodka needed scared me a little.

Oh, and to the OP, I did provide tasting notes on my trial in a couple of the threads on this!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts

I've tried this guys peanut butter porter and it was great.
http://www.sleezysherm.com/2005/11/p...ter-try-2.html

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
I used 2 jars of PB2 from Bells in my 5-gallon chocolate stout. One in the boil and one in secondary. The flavor at the end of primary was all chocolate and no peanuts. The single one in secondary added a decent amount of flavor but I had used too much cocoa powder.

When I do it again, it'll be 2 jars in secondary and I'll mash at 156-158 and add a lot more crystal malt to bring the sweetness up a ton. Cocoa powder gives that great deep flavor, but I think it's much too dark for the peanutbutter cup combo. Sweetness is definitely needed to bring that authenticity to it.

The biggest problem I had was sanitizing the PB Powder before adding to secondary. I tried soaking it in vodka but the amount of vodka needed scared me a little.

Oh, and to the OP, I did provide tasting notes on my trial in a couple of the threads on this!
The 6 jars I used was probably a bit much. Based on my research, everyone who tried adding anywhere from 1-3 jars to the boil didn't get much, if any PB flavor. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen with mine.

As for the secondary, I was worried about the exact same thing. That's why I didn't rack onto any PB2. I figured that much vodka could have potentially hurt the final product. How much vodka did you need to use for a 6.5 oz jar of PB2? I may need to try this method if I brew it again if you didn't experience any negatives from it.

For the OP, if you're interested in adding peanut butter extract to the secondary/at bottling, they make that too. I actually found a company on eBay that sells it...Watkins Gourmet Extracts I think. Personally, I don't like adding flavoring extracts to my beers.
Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownBrewer View Post
The 6 jars I used was probably a bit much. Based on my research, everyone who tried adding anywhere from 1-3 jars to the boil didn't get much, if any PB flavor. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen with mine.

As for the secondary, I was worried about the exact same thing. That's why I didn't rack onto any PB2. I figured that much vodka could have potentially hurt the final product. How much vodka did you need to use for a 6.5 oz jar of PB2? I may need to try this method if I brew it again if you didn't experience any negatives from it.

For the OP, if you're interested in adding peanut butter extract to the secondary/at bottling, they make that too. I actually found a company on eBay that sells it...Watkins Gourmet Extracts I think. Personally, I don't like adding flavoring extracts to my beers.
What I did was add the entire jar to a tupperware cup, and then I started pouring in vodka and stirring. I stopped when I reached a consistency that was thicker than normal peanut butter with no powder remaining. My guess is that it was at least 10-15 ounces. I encountered a problem when it came to adding it to the carboy. I had to add a decent amount of filtered water to get it to a point that I could spoon it into the carboy. The stout base was 9% so I wasn't real concerned about infection, and adding the filtered water to the already alcohol primed peanut butter would likely have killed anything in the water anyway, but it's still something I need to rethink...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I had wonderful results with one jar of PB2 in my brown porter. I wanted it to taste subtle though, so that amount may not be enough if you want a more nutty beer.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
cbauer210
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is one I have been meaning to try:

http://hbd.org/nychg/recipes/pbporter.html

Quick Reply