Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anyone ever try to make a <1% alcohol beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The thing with mashing so high or using tons of unfermentable sugars is you are going to end up with insanely sweet beer...like the malta.

Your best bet is to boil off the alcohol, but in the process of recarbing, there will be trace amounts of alcohol produced from the yeasts creating the c02.

The reason I mention that is if you ever give it to a recovering alcoholic thinking it is completely free of alcohol, that could put you in a tough situation

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Pretty sure it was BierMuncher that had success a couple years back at making an n/a beer. Basically made himself a good session beer and boiled off the alcohol. Might go looking for that thread.

EDIT: Here.
I've done this as well. Admittedly I never tried it since it was a xmas present for my friend's dad, but he dug it. Unfortunately I was still kitchen brewing at the time and my kitchen stuuuuuuuunk. I didn't realize how bad until I went outside for a minute and returned, almost hurled.
On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd think that if you don't ferment or you drive off the alcohol then you are going to need to pasteurize the product somehow.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'd think that if you don't ferment or you drive off the alcohol then you are going to need to pasteurize the product somehow.
If you boil off the alcohol, there shouldn't be any issues. The readily fermentable sugars would have already been fermented, there would still be some dextrins that Brett could ferment but no more than with any other beer.

It's not the alcohol that keeps the beer from getting infected, it's good sanitation practices. If you're going to get a Brett infection, it's as likely to happen in a 6%-ABV "regular" beer as it is in a 1% beer that's been neutered.

The other "beers" that are basically non-fermented; I'd think you'd just have to be especially careful about sanitation, as you'd have a lot of simple sugars kicking around for any wild yeast.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
I think you have few options to brew a low alcohol beer
1) start with a low OG and some good amount of unfermentable sugars, so the yeast doesn't have much to convert to alcohol. You will get a thin and watery beer.
2) start with higher OG and with a huge amount of unfermentable sugars. That will end with a very sweet beer.
3) start with normal OG, let it ferment at low temp for a while to get the alcohol you want, then pasteurize the beer.

I tried process #2 for a malzbier and it worked fine.
Mashing high doesn't make beer sweet. Dextrins are not sweet.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if O' Douls can do it, you should be able to as well, so look for an O'Douls clone. lol. anything below 0.5% is considered by the federal government as non alcoholic.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #17
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
If you boil off the alcohol, there shouldn't be any issues. The readily fermentable sugars would have already been fermented, there would still be some dextrins that Brett could ferment but no more than with any other beer.

It's not the alcohol that keeps the beer from getting infected, it's good sanitation practices. If you're going to get a Brett infection, it's as likely to happen in a 6%-ABV "regular" beer as it is in a 1% beer that's been neutered.

The other "beers" that are basically non-fermented; I'd think you'd just have to be especially careful about sanitation, as you'd have a lot of simple sugars kicking around for any wild yeast.
Doesn't fermentation also lower the PH making it harder for bacteria to live? I think packaging had better be thoroughly thought out on this one.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #18
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I did it once... made a 6 pack for a buddy from my oatmeal stout... boiled ( actually simmered at about 200 degrees for almost an hour)the finished beer, cooled and pitched a small amount of yeast and priming sugar....he loved it... I won't do it again....if I ever get a head injury and decide to try it again, I will do an entire batch.. seems as if it would be much easier.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #19
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so you boil it and the alcohol separates from the beer and you have to drain it off somehow?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #20
therealrsr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about long rolling boil after fermentation and adding tabs for carb, perhaps a dry hop as well? Pretty sure AB boiled of the alc.

Quick Reply