Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anybody concerned about this hobby on their health?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
LitterBox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Anybody concerned about this hobby on their health?

I'm sure this thread is going to generate its fair share of comical comments, but I wanted to ask it anyway.

Is anyone honestly concerned about the effects this hobby is having on their health, whether it be liver sclerosis or weight gain? I'm not really looking for advice or support, but I wanted to gauge what the overall honest opinion is from other homebrewers.

In the last year and 1/2, I've put on 10-15lbs and I am still in pretty good shape but moving toward that range where I don't want to go. I'm very much concerned about the weight I now have to get rid of as well as the work I have to put in to keep it off. In addition, the long term effects of this hobby on my liver concern me as well.

I know, I know. "Everything in moderation. What's the point of life if you can't enjoy it. I'd rather die doing what I love than to live an unhappy life" Insert your cliche here, but is there anyone else that shares some of my same sentiments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

One thing I know for sure is that the death rate for all human beings is 100%! None will get out alive so drink up, LOL!

People Like This 
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Liver problems?? You would need to be an alcoholic or have a pre existing condition. Weight gain?? You would have that same problem eating to much food. Your liver can get stressed with many things not just alcohol. Some much worse in stuff we drink and eat everyday.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Bottle conditioned beer is healthier,if concerned drink session beers.Also if you have good discipline drink one or two a day max. Ive gained weight from commercial craft beer research and i eat salads almost daily reduce breads/pastas and exercise heavily at least every other day for 1-2 hrs.I struggle to drink one or two or none a day too.
Heres a cliche Live to eat,eat to live.I try to eat to live and drink good beer too.Eat good and exercise often.Beer has good carbs they take you a long way, i find that an apple and coffee does too.
Overeating and obeseity is as detrimental on you liver as drinking heavily. A glass of beer is heathier than a pasterized glass of sugary juice from the supermarket.Especially bottle conditioned homebrew. All that heavy fructose is not good to consume often.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Moderation is the key. Your liver is not going to get stressed and diseased from a beer or two a night. Unless your tackling a case or two on the weekends as well... As for the weight, get a food journal. Figure out what you need to stay at calorie wise hit that mark with food, then exercise enough so you can counter act a HB or 2.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
BlainD
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This forum is like 95% libertarian so no matter how bad it may be on your body pepole will be for a person's right to do it.

On a side note there are tons of alcoholics that never created their own alcohol and plenty of healthy well balanced drinker that have never brewed. Like wise there are alcoholics that produce their own alcohol and plenty of healthy well balanced drinker that brew. If your a drunk your a drunk no matter where you get it.

Why Alcohol's unsavory effects? Why not Soda, or McDonald's, or bacon, or smoking?Your argument is the same as Guns kill people, except it's the beer that is at fault not the person. People make choices. People need to stop passing blaming onto inanimate objects and take responsibility.

"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I drink craft beer to stay healthy.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
2PintsLow Likes This 
Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
LitterBox
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Interesting responses. Reading them makes me sound paranoid. I had already decided to cut food out of my diet so I can drink more beer. ....... Not all food, just the unhealthy garbage.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
ronclark
Constant Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've actually dropped over ten pounds since I started home brewing. It might not seam like much, but that was 5% of my total weight. I drink at least one beer a day and sometimes quite a few more. I simply make sure I balance the rest of my diet so that I don't need to remove beer from it.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My main concern is the weight loss my bank account is currently experiencing due to this hobby.

I, myself, have weighed about 130 for the past 20 years. I am not that concerned about it.

Quick Reply