The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any way to tell if beer is carbonating in bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
sontavas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any way to tell if beer is carbonating in bottles?

Bottled my first batch of beer last night. I was a little concerned due to an ultra fast fermentation (2 days) but i waited the full 10 days to bottle anyhow. I tasted the beer and low and behold it tasted like Beer, i cant believe it, flat and warm but beer none the less.

Is there any way to tell if the beer is going through the small fermentation that carbonates it in the bottles? I added the water/sugar solution and I really cant tell if its doing anything. Is there any way to double check? Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
chachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, open a bottle and see if it goes pop.

They will carbonate fine. Go brew another batch and get your mind off of the bottles.

: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Keg 1: "Wing Ding" Bohemian Lager
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
On Deck: Diapers and sleep

Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the future, you can take a little empty plastic coke bottle and sanitize it, then bottle as usual and replace on of the glass bottles with the coke bottle. You'll be able to tell by squeezing the coke bottle how much pressure there is. I've never done this because I'll just pop a bottle anyway, but it does work.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There's no visual way to "see" carbonation...just wait it out...The yeast know what they're doing...although the soda bottle is a good idea...

and remember...3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70!!!!

If you open them before and they're not carbed or taste "funny," and start a thread asking what's wrong, we're just going to remind you 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
and remember...3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70!!!!
Yupper. But that said, there's nothing wrong with sampling early, as long as you understand the beer is still maturing.

I tasted mine after a week. Then another three days later...and maybe another today (three days after that)...

-Joe

Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Yupper. But that said, there's nothing wrong with sampling early, as long as you understand the beer is still maturing.

I tasted mine after a week. Then another three days later...and maybe another today (three days after that)...

-Joe
Hence this line;
Quote:
If you open them before and they're not carbed or taste "funny," and start a thread asking what's wrong, we're just going to remind you...
I open my first one around the 2 week mark myself...but I don't judge the beer in anyway until after 3 weeks...If there's any flavor that is "off" i make note of it and see if it's still there after 3 weeks...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
In the future, you can take a little empty plastic coke bottle and sanitize it, then bottle as usual and replace on of the glass bottles with the coke bottle. You'll be able to tell by squeezing the coke bottle how much pressure there is.
This works great.

Also, keep the small bottles like that in case you want to make any rootbeer.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
KCStokes
Recipes 

Ok this makes me feel a little better. I brewed my first batch on the 17th, and I opened one on friday to see how it was doing. It let out a wimpy hiss and wasn't carbonated. They've been sitting at around 65 degrees. Should I bring them up from the basement for like another week, or is 80 degrees during the day too warm?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStokes View Post
Ok this makes me feel a little better. I brewed my first batch on the 17th, and I opened one on friday to see how it was doing. It let out a wimpy hiss and wasn't carbonated. They've been sitting at around 65 degrees. Should I bring them up from the basement for like another week, or is 80 degrees during the day too warm?

If it's 65 downstairs I'd bring them upstairs now...Warm room temps are fine for bottle carbing...Below 70 is not so good.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
KCStokes
Recipes 

OK thank you, I thought warm/fluctuating temp was bad for conditioning. No harm in those two weeks downstairs?

Quick Reply