Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any suggestions for a good partial mash recipe kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Any suggestions for a good partial mash recipe kit?

I'm looking for a good recipe kit for my first partial mash brew. I'd like to get rid of that extract twang I've been getting, so maybe partial mash will get me closer to what I want. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good recipe kit? I'm considering a lager if I can figure out how to get my wine fridge fermentation chamber cold enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well, i've been using the austin homebrew PM kits. so far i've done, Double chocolate stout, ordinary bitter, Cream ale, and i have the American Red Ale in the fermenter now.
all turned out very well, with no twang. i think that its the quality of the extract that you are using that might cause it. i used to do MR. Beer kits. they all that that twang. after that i did a christmas ale recipe which was a PM with Northern brewer extract, and that came out excellent.
i say you cant go wrong with any of the Austin Homebrew PM kits. Go For It!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
uncleozzy
Recipes 

I don't know that I've ever experienced extract twang (I've only done maybe two all-extract batches, and always added the extract late, anyway), but BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde makes an awesome PM brew. I do it like this:

2.5lbs 2-row
0.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Vienna
0.5lbs Carapils

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes.

Top up to boil volume if necessary (I usually boil 3-3.5 gallons), then start the boil:

0.25oz Centennial (10% AA) @ 60min
0.25oz Centennial (10% AA) @ 30min
0.25oz Cascade (7% AA) @ 10min
0.25oz Cascade (7% AA) @ 5min

3lbs extra-light DME @ flameout.

Chill, then top up to 5.25 gallons with spring water. Should get you an OG of 1.044 or so with 65% efficiency (I do stovetop PMs).

Ferment @ 64F until it's done. Carbonate it pretty spritzy.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on. Austin Homebrew kits. I've been brewing about 7 months now and made over a dozen of their PM kits with no duds. Some favorites so far are: ahs oatmeal stout, Yukon red, ahs Texas red, ahs London Porter. Just bottled my first lager kit last night which was their Noche Buena clone. It tasted very good flat so I'm looking forward to how it will develop in the bottle. I used a BIG starter and lagered for 3 weeks, just as instructions said to do. Just pick something that looks good to you...I haven't been disappointed yet.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

There is no such thing as extract twang. That implies that there is something wrong with extract.

What people refer to as twang, is the flavor from extract from a can (more pronounced if the can is old).

We sell fresh bulk extract only from North America. We sell over 75 tons (150,000 pounds) of liquid extract a year. With this turn over, you know it is fresh.

Have you had fresh pineapple? How about pineapple from a can? The difference is pineapple twang. Although the can is what causes the twang in extract and pineapple.

Forrest

Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like the AHS American Premium lager mini-mash kit. A lot like Michelob but with more mouthfeel. I'm not into flavored beer or hop bombs. I like American beer.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Oh yeah, the LME I've gotten from Austin Homebrew has always been super-fresh and surprisingly light in color. I do usually buy DME, though, just because it stores better.

The Long Trail clone kit (which I should be bottling tomorrow) has been awesome, if you're looking for a real basic, sessionable ale with nice noble hops aroma.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
I'm looking for a good recipe kit for my first partial mash brew. I'd like to get rid of that extract twang I've been getting, so maybe partial mash will get me closer to what I want. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good recipe kit? I'm considering a lager if I can figure out how to get my wine fridge fermentation chamber cold enough.
Austin Homebrew London Porter was very good. It introduced me to porters and now they are my favorite style. My wife likes the Northern Brewer kits because the she reuses the boxes they come packaged in

Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleozzy View Post
I don't know that I've ever experienced extract twang (I've only done maybe two all-extract batches, and always added the extract late, anyway), but BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde makes an awesome PM brew. I do it like this:

2.5lbs 2-row
0.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Vienna
0.5lbs Carapils

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes.

Top up to boil volume if necessary (I usually boil 3-3.5 gallons), then start the boil:

0.25oz Centennial (10% AA) @ 60min
0.25oz Centennial (10% AA) @ 30min
0.25oz Cascade (7% AA) @ 10min
0.25oz Cascade (7% AA) @ 5min

3lbs extra-light DME @ flameout.

Chill, then top up to 5.25 gallons with spring water. Should get you an OG of 1.044 or so with 65% efficiency (I do stovetop PMs).

Ferment @ 64F until it's done. Carbonate it pretty spritzy.
Any recommendations for yeast for this recipe?

Quick Reply