Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > any reason to use a lager yeast if not lagering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default any reason to use a lager yeast if not lagering?

The thread title pretty much sums up the question - is there any reason to use or not to use a lager yeast, ferment at lager yeast temps, but not actually lager a brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

A lager yeast works at 48-54 degrees or so. If you're fermenting a beer in that range, a lager yeast would be the way to go. If you're fermenting in the 59-70 degree temperature range, an ale yeast would be the way to go.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yup. Steam beer. Like Anchor Steam.
Steam Beer is when you use lager yeast at ale temps. Put that into the search engine and I'm sure you'll get tons of info.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
A lager yeast works at 48-54 degrees or so. If you're fermenting a beer in that range, a lager yeast would be the way to go. If you're fermenting in the 59-70 degree temperature range, an ale yeast would be the way to go.
Let's say I have both options available - 1st floor steady at ~65-66 degrees and an unheated cellar at ~50 degrees. Is there any reason to go the lager yeast route (fermenting in the cellar) over the ale yeast route (fermenting on the 1st floor)? I don't have any place where I can actually lager the brew after fermentation, so I'm not sure using a lager yeast does me any good.

Last edited by JLem; 04-14-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Let's say I have both options available - 1st floor steady at ~65-66 degrees and an unheated cellar at ~50 degrees. Is there any reason to go the lager yeast route (fermenting in the cellar) over the ale yeast route?
Well, what's your plan for the beer? do you want a clean, crisp lager quality? Or do you want some esters, maybe some flavor from the yeast?

If you want a lager and to use a lager yeast, you go with the cooler ferment temps. For an ale, you'll ferment with an ale yeast (top cropping) and go with ale temperatures.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Well, what's your plan for the beer? do you want a clean, crisp lager quality? Or do you want some esters, maybe some flavor from the yeast?

If you want a lager and to use a lager yeast, you go with the cooler ferment temps. For an ale, you'll ferment with an ale yeast (top cropping) and go with ale temperatures.
So, you can still get that clean, crisp lager profile without lagering? I guess this is the real question I'm trying to figure out - can I make a lager (or a lager-like beer) without lagering? How different will it be compared to a fully lagered brew?

My Beer Cellar

Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
So, you can still get that clean, crisp lager profile without lagering? I guess this is the real question I'm trying to figure out - can I make a lager (or a lager-like beer) without lagering? How different will it be compared to a fully lagered brew?
Sure you can. It wouldn't have the defining crispness that a true lager has, but it wouldn't have esters or fruity flavors, and be closer to the flavor you associate with lagers. It might not be as smooth if you don't cold condition it, but it would be a lager. It might not be as clear as a beer that spent 6 weeks at near freezing temperatures either. Lagering the beer allows it time to condition, and mature, and the cold temperatures cause it to be clear.

If you want to, you could make the lager and then bottle it. Once it's carbonated, take half and put in a fridge for as long as you can and simply drink the other half. Then compare the beers and see what you think.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
It wouldn't have the defining crispness that a true lager has, but it wouldn't have esters or fruity flavors, and be closer to the flavor you associate with lagers. It might not be as smooth if you don't cold condition it, but it would be a lager. It might not be as clear as a beer that spent 6 weeks at near freezing temperatures either.
Sounds like the end result would be a mediocre lager and not really worth it. Not as crisp, not as smooth, not as clear...might as well keep making ales (not that I have any problem with that).

My Beer Cellar

Old 04-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like the end result would be a mediocre lager and not really worth it. Not as crisp, not as smooth, not as clear...might as well keep making ales (not that I have any problem with that).
I lager my lagers at 45-50F as that is the temperature of my crawlspace. They turn out fine. I do crash chill them and add finings before kegging and lagering them so they are crystal clear when served cold.

GT

Quick Reply