Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > any reason to NOT use a bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
zeoalex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any reason to NOT use a bottle?

So here's my first post (i've done a handful of lingering, but no real reason to post yet). I have a raspberry wheat sitting in primary right now fermenting. Before I left school for the semester, I had my roomate give me what bottles he had from the last case he bought. I had asked him to rinse them all out before putting them away, he promised me he did. I also saved the bottles from mine, but made sure to rinse them. So I have two cases of bottles sitting in my garage. I opened up my case and made sure they were all still clean, which they were. I then opened up his case, and to my surprise, there was a nice mold cake in the bottom.

now I just bought a jet bottle washer, and tested it out on one of the moldy bottles. it blasted the cake out cleanly. My question is, now that I found out that I can blast the mold out, do you guys think that it's OK to use those bottles? I'd blast, run them through the dishwasher, blast again, sanatize.
I'm just extremely worried that there will maybe still be something residual that could mess up the beer, and possibly get people sick.

If I can avoid having to go buy more bottles, that'd be ideal, as the closest LHBS is an hour train ride, and then another half hour via subway to the shop. or I will go buy another case of something at the market and hope to finish it off before bottling time comes around

thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I personally wouldn't use them but I come up with enough bottles on my own pretty quickly so I don't mess with anything that will take much effort to clean. You are probably fine as long as you clean them out really well.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Soak Then in Oxyclean for a day or two, rinse them out real well, and then they should be ready to use. Just Starsan them before bottling.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Canadabrew
Recipes 

I would make up a Bleach solution and let it sit in them for an hour or two. After that rinse a few times and sanitize and they'll be ok.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Oxyclean gets rid of the mold cakes for me. After a few days of sitting in a Homer bucket full of Oxyclean water you start to see all the gunk floating on the top. Plus it's a nice easy way to get labels off.

If you're still concerned, you can always use a bottle brush and a visual inspection of each bottle.

Definitely sanitize before using.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I've had that happen with bottles the three of us save. Sometimes they get put away without being rinsed 1st,no matter how many times I say it needs to be done before storing till cleaning day.
They clean up fine in a bucket of PBW. The mold cake floats out in a matter of minutes. I let them soak overnight. Next day,take a bottle brush & dobie to them inside & out. Slick as a whistle,then hang'em on the bottle tree.
On bottling day,they all get the vinitor & star-san treatment. Never a problem.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
jroot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With Bleach make sure you rinse several times, PBW is a brewery cleaner and will do the job very well too, Oxyclean will also work......3-4 hours for both is plenty....as stated above just sanitize right before filling with your brew.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
zeoalex
Recipes 

I don't have any PBW, but I'll may get some oxyclean at some point today, and do it that way. is there a certain dilution I should do with oxy?
is bleach a better option that oxy? what sort of dilution should I use for that (to be honest, using bleach scares me a little for something like this)

and of course I plan on star-san'ing on bottling day

Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeoalex View Post
I don't have any PBW, but I'll may get some oxyclean at some point today, and do it that way. is there a certain dilution I should do with oxy?
is bleach a better option that oxy? what sort of dilution should I use for that (to be honest, using bleach scares me a little for something like this)

and of course I plan on star-san'ing on bottling day
I just follow the directions on the jar of OxyClean.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: German IPA
Fermenting: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What is the Standard punishment for a wayward roommate? Is he expecting to share in the malty beverage? Maybe you should have him clean them!!!

Quick Reply