Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any ideas for an alternative grain-bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Tripod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Any ideas for an alternative grain-bag?

Greetings HBT!

I am finally getting around to brewing the next batch and all of my ingredients are on the way...woohoo!! But like a good noobie, I am realizing after the fact that the medium-sized nylon grain bag that I ordered is designed for about a pound of grains but the recipe I'm brewing calls for almost 2 pounds. D'OH!! So I need to come up with a quick second grain-bag so I can brew this coming monday!

I've done some searching and found a ton of posts suggesting things like nylon paint strainer bags and stockings/hosery for use as a hop-bag during dry hopping. But I am curious if those items can stand up to the higher temperatures needed for steeping grains. Does anyone have a good alternative grain steeping bag idea? It needs to be something that I can pick up as opposed to ordering and then waiting for the shipment...

As always, your input is highly appreciated!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If a nylon paint strainer bag can withstand a boil, it can most certainly withstand steeping temps.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_Bag

Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
If a nylon paint strainer bag can withstand a boil, it can most certainly withstand steeping temps.

Hop Bag - Home Brewing Wiki
First: Love the avatar! Do you play?

Second: I didn't know the nylon strainer bags could withstand a boil! They'll surely hold up in 170*F water if they can take 212*F, right? Thanks for the link. I think I'll just swing by the local Home Depot and pick up a bag and be done with it.

Thanks!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
First: Love the avatar! Do you play?
Yep.

Quote:
Second: I didn't know the nylon strainer bags could withstand a boil! They'll surely hold up in 170*F water if they can take 212*F, right? Thanks for the link. I think I'll just swing by the local Home Depot and pick up a bag and be done with it.
They work great! I actually have a hop bag like shown on the wiki and it's easy to knock together with some HD parts. Keeps the majority of the hop sludge contained (pellets), but I've been using whole hops for the past several brew days.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 for the paint straining bags... Steeped in the before and used one for dry hopping... Not 100% sure about the boil, but I would guess they would be ok...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
...hop bag like shown on the wiki ...
OK, I checked out the wiki and I am totally sold! I am definitely going to get the stuff from Home Depot and make one of those. Not only good for a bag, but I can siphon on the outside of it...maximizing the amount of clear wort I get to the fermenter means maximum number of bottles a month later.

Thanks for the tip!

-Tripod

PS - Flyangler18, a good friend of mine used to play on the UGA rugby team (in the '80's) and talked my into trying out. I broke my knee two days before the try-outs and never got another chance to go back to it!

5/2012

Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
kris776543
Recipes 

hmmmm well im glad i read this because i would have never thought to use a pain straining bag and i need a new one

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A paint straining bag is probably better than this but...

How about cheesecloth?

Quick Reply