Any idea what this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I've only noticed this in my last two batches, and the only difference between all my other batches and these last two is that I just started using specialty grains. Any idea what these floating white bits are? I'm not too concerned, as I don't have any odd odors or flavors, just curious...

100_0764.gif

are you steeping your grains in a muslin bag or are you just scooping them out of the preboil? i'm assumign that you're an extract brewer.

Yes, I am still brewing extract. I steeped the grains in a muslin bag both times. This picture is from the primary, about 7 days in.

The last batch, a Magic Hat #9 clone, just went into the bottle a few days ago, and it tasted just fine, no weird odors or flavors.

hmmm, cant say i've seen this. if it tastes good then dont worry about it i guess. does it pop up when you secondary?

On the Magic Hat #9, I used a Wyeast 1056 American Ale smack. Although the white bits were nowehere near as numerous or large as in the current english ale.

On the batch pictured, I used a Wyeast 1968 London Ale Smack.

On the Magic Hat #9, I used a Wyeast 1056 American Ale smack. Although the white bits were nowehere near as numerous or large as in the current english ale.

On the batch pictured, I used a Wyeast 1968 London Ale Smack.

I've never seen that before, but I tend not to open my primary fermenters until they completely done 2-3 weeks.

My guess is they could be yeast or trub clumps. Its odd how they stick to the side of the pail.

When are you seeing this?? How long into the ferment?

are you using whole hops, Plugs, or Pellets?

In this one, I used:

• 2 oz. Kent Goldings Pellets (bittering) 60 mins.

• .5 oz. Kent Goldings leaf (flavoring) 10 mins.

Then cooled and strained into the primary. They're actually a little smaller than they appear in the picture, btw.

Had the same looking stuff floating in my Nut Brown Ale. Almost all of it sunk prior to transfer to secondary. I used the same yeast, and thought that was what it was when I noticed it in mine.

Taste test upon transfer was good.

Back