Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
kellysrepairs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Any help

So I brewed a batch of Hefe last night that I was wanting to. Everything seemed to go great but I have no activity from my yeast yet. I had 8lb wheat lme 1lb lite lme 1lb vienna malt that I steeped before, I used white labs hefe IV for a 5.5 gallon batch. temp is good but OG seemed high 1.088 my LHBS guy told me I might need to pitch another one due to the high gravity but sometimes takes 24-48hrs to get going so give it a day, I thought that white labs yeast was supposed to take off pretty quick. any advise would be awesome .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysrepairs View Post
So I brewed a batch of Hefe last night that I was wanting to. Everything seemed to go great but I have no activity from my yeast yet. I had 8lb wheat lme 1lb lite lme 1lb vienna malt that I steeped before, I used white labs hefe IV for a 5.5 gallon batch. temp is good but OG seemed high 1.088 my LHBS guy told me I might need to pitch another one due to the high gravity but sometimes takes 24-48hrs to get going so give it a day, I thought that white labs yeast was supposed to take off pretty quick. any advise would be awesome .

you sure about that OG? I punched 8 pounds of wheat LME and 1 pound pale LME into Beersmith and it estimates a 1.059 OG for 5.5 gallons... you would gain some points with the 1# of Vienna Malt in steeping but not that many.

Did you make a yeast starter? I've seen liquid yeast take up to 48 hours to show activity in starters I have made. If you didn't make a starter you should consider doing so in the future when using liquid yeast, there really is not enough yeast cells in vial/smack pack of liquid to adequately ferment a 5 gallon batch (especially at that high OG). My last vial of white labs was purchased about a month after the "use by" date... took at least a day to show activity in the starter. Also, if you happen to get bad yeast you would know before brewing your 5 gallon batch.

Check out www.mrmalty.com , it has a good pitching calculator for yeast that I have found helpful. Going by what it suggests has improved my beers.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you brewed it last night if you don't see activity yet I wouldn't freak out. You definitely underpitched if your gravity was that high and you pitched one pack. Depending on the viability (age) of that pack you could have sorely underpitched your yeast. If you can get to the LHBS quickly I would pitch another pack.

Most likely your yeast will begin working soon, but they probably wont fully attenuate.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you didn't make a starter, then I would expect to see a lagtime that could be up to the 72 hours we mention in the sticky that says "Fermentation can take 24-72 hours...."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 169

1.060-1.064 is also what I calculate in beersmith with your LME and vienna. Assuming a good conversion on vienna you'd be at the higher end, otherwise somewhere in between.

Assuming 1.062, yeastcalc thinks you should use ~237 billion yeast cells. A white labs vial will typically contain up to 100 billion. Therefore, you would have pitched a little less than half as much as you really should have. This may lead to a longer lag phase. The good part is that you may achieve more esters from the yeast which could be a great thing for a hefeweizen.

Most importantly, no start between last night and right now is nothing to worry about. Give it another 3 days to get going. If nothing by then, then you _might_ consider pitching another vial or waiting one more day. Make sure you have your fermenter sitting at around 70 degrees and when you see activity beginning you can bring the temps down to recommended manufacturers range.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
kellysrepairs
Recipes 

No I didnt use a starter I just went by directions on vial. now you got me thinking about that OG. im almost positive thats what it was after bringing it up to 5.5 gal. man I need to not drink so much when im brewing And my LHBS is closed on monday so im gonna have to wait till tomorrow morning to go get and pitch another one. Is pitching it twice gonna change anything about it?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's possible that you when you topped off with water and took a sample it was not mixed well, giving you a less diluted sample to take a gravity reading of. Either this or you were too drunk to read the hydrometer!

Pitching a second tube of yeast shouldn't hurt anything. A second vial will get you closer to the amount of yeast needed to ferment this beer.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
kellysrepairs
Recipes 

Just got home from work and after 24 hours from pitching I have some tiny bit of activity I think I might still pitch some more tomorrow just to make sure. would that be ok to do?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 169

My understanding is that once yeast has reached a maximum density then additional yeast is unnecessary, and might actually be a detriment. If it were me, I would save my money. If the yeast is to excrete off flavors then they will already be in the brew before you add a new vial. Again, being a hefeweizen, an underpitching might actually work in your favor since you'll hopefully get additional beneficial esters from the yeast.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysrepairs View Post
Just got home from work and after 24 hours from pitching I have some tiny bit of activity I think I might still pitch some more tomorrow just to make sure. would that be ok to do?
No. If it's fermenting, it's already past the reproduction phase so more yeast at this point would just be a waste of $7.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS