Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any benefit to longer Iodophor soak?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Idophor and other iodine based products if used correctly should do it's stuff on contact, that's why it's used in surgery.
The mixture gets less effective with time. Eventually it will become useless. I've left a solution in a jar and it's stated to grow mould within a week.
So no. A longer soak is not needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
BTW, first brew happens Monday...so ready!!
Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
golfguy819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

do you guys rinse or just let your equipment air dry that has been sanitized with iodophor ? i read an article that said that you don't even have to rinse or let air dry (article was referring to a carboy).

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Cherry Stout, California Common
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Holiday Cheer

Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

No arm done if a little is left behind.
I always let it drip but don't bother with the dry. I don't wan to leave it open to airboure boogies any long than I need too.

A proviso to my earlier post is that we dilute so a longer then "instant" exposure is needed.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Let us know how it goes!
I can't belive I didn't discover home brewing sooner in life! First batch brewed yesterday (brewer's red ale from TheHomeBrewery.com) and it was a blast! I can see now that I have some techniques to work on like cooling the wort a little faster but, overall, I LOVE BREWING!!

As far as using Iodophor: I ended up filling the bottling bucket about half way (3 gallons...) which was enough to completely cover airlock/cork, tubing, hydrometer, etc. while my water was heating up. I just left things in there until needed and pulled it out and used it. If something needed to be re-sanitized I just dropped it back into the bucket and left it until needed again.

For my ferm. bucket, I layed it on it's side and propped it at a small angle so that I would not have to mix 6.5 full gallons of solution. (I'll take pictures of the wood-block I used to prop it so it would not roll on its own. It needs a "V" shaped wedge cut in it to work right.) Then I just rotated the bucket a few degrees every couple of minutes so that all surfaces were sanatized and kept doing that during the boil until needed...think rotisserie.

It may not be the best solution but I can tell you this...my air-lock is bubbling like CRAZY so it can't be all bad. I could probably use the spray-bottle trick and use less Iodophor on certain things...but I am pleased so far. I have to wait until the whole thing is done to report on the final results but I understand a bubbling airlock is a good sign!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Quick Reply