Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any benefit to longer Iodophor soak?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
Tripod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Any benefit to longer Iodophor soak?

Greetings All and HAPPY FRIDAY!!

I tried to search the threads as much as possible before posting a repeat question. I hope I'm not repeating here...but I have a question about using iodophor.

According to the research I've done, you only need a 1-2 minute exposure to sanitize equipment for our home-brewing purposes. I also found that a 10 minute exposure will sanitize to hospital standards which leads me to believe that longer exposure = better santizing.

My question: Do any of you use Iodophor for longer soak/exposure times to get better sanitizing effects? I realize that it's pointless to leave a solution longer than, say, 24 hours because it won't be worth much past that. But does anyone use it for 10 mins or more to get better results?

Is there any reason I should NOT do a longer soak? Like if my bottles all soak together and I pull them one-by-one to fill them, then theoretically the last bottle out of 48 will have had a longer exposure...any harm or benefit?

Thanks in advance!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If the equpment is clean before going in the iodaphor then the 2 minute soak should work just fine. I have a 10 gallon container that I mix 5 gallons in and let stuff soak until I need it because it's convienient.

If you have a dishwasher you can use the top rack for the bottles to drain and the door for the filling. I used to do 12- 18 at a time and never had any problems.

Gary

Old 09-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
My question: Do any of you use Iodophor for longer soak/exposure times to get better sanitizing effects? I realize that it's pointless to leave a solution longer than, say, 24 hours because it won't be worth much past that. But does anyone use it for 10 mins or more to get better results?
Not for better results, but I tend to put things that will fit in the bucket in the bucket and leave it there. And pluck it out when ready to use it (stoppers, funnels, hoses, whatever).

It's more of a "ready when I want to use it" thing.

I think the only downside would be increased staining if that kind of thing bothers you.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Not for better results, but I tend to put things that will fit in the bucket in the bucket and leave it there. And pluck it out when ready to use it (stoppers, funnels, hoses, whatever).

It's more of a "ready when I want to use it" thing.

I think the only downside would be increased staining if that kind of thing bothers you.
First: Thanks for the fast replys!

Second: Fratermus, I'm with you on that. I was more thinking that I could sanatize all at once and then pull items as needed. I'm not too worried about staining but I wanted to be sure I was not going to hurt anything by having some items exposed longer than others, etc.

The more I study about sanatization, the more I see that it has to be done but it's not like I have to shave the dog. I need to be wary but not kill myself to create a sterile operation-room-ready environment. So my bigger concern was too much exposure to Iodophor (or any other chemical) but it looks like I don't need to worry about it. Aside from the obvious, that is...(like oxyclean on metal...)

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
If you have a dishwasher you can use the top rack for the bottles to drain and the door for the filling. I used to do 12- 18 at a time and never had any problems.
Blender, I like the dishwasher rack idea. That sounds like a plan I could use. I'm curious about something...do I need to sanatize the rack itself and, if so, how do you guys do it? Could I just spray some of the Iodophor onto the rack before I move sanatized bottles onto it? Or am I taking this a little too seriously?

-Tripod

5/2012

Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have had about 45 bottles draining in my dishwasher at once. you could just run the dishwasher and it will be sanitized, you may taking it to seriously, RDWHAHB

Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Blender, I like the dishwasher rack idea. That sounds like a plan I could use. I'm curious about something...do I need to sanatize the rack itself and, if so, how do you guys do it? Could I just spray some of the Iodophor onto the rack before I move sanatized bottles onto it? Or am I taking this a little too seriously?

-Tripod
I never did and I don't think it is needed. No more bottling for me though as I went the keg route.

Gary

Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks all for helping me piece this out. I'm just trying to cover the angles before the mistakes are made. Once I have some, I'll RDWHAHB.

BTW, first brew happens Monday...so ready!!

-Tripod

5/2012

Old 09-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks all for helping me piece this out. I'm just trying to cover the angles before the mistakes are made. Once I have some, I'll RDWHAHB.

BTW, first brew happens Monday...so ready!!

-Tripod

5/2012

Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use Idophor and mix 1/4 tsp in a spray bottle. I spray everything down that comes in contact with the wort, but that's about it (no 2 minute soaks). I might be playing with fire, but I haven't had any infections issues yet. Although I believe sterilizing is necessary, I think some get to anal over it.

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Quick Reply