Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Any benefit to longer Iodophor soak? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/any-benefit-longer-iodophor-soak-81148/)

Tripod 09-20-2008 03:25 AM

Any benefit to longer Iodophor soak?
 
Greetings All and HAPPY FRIDAY!! :tank:

I tried to search the threads as much as possible before posting a repeat question. I hope I'm not repeating here...but I have a question about using iodophor.

According to the research I've done, you only need a 1-2 minute exposure to sanitize equipment for our home-brewing purposes. I also found that a 10 minute exposure will sanitize to hospital standards which leads me to believe that longer exposure = better santizing.

My question: Do any of you use Iodophor for longer soak/exposure times to get better sanitizing effects? I realize that it's pointless to leave a solution longer than, say, 24 hours because it won't be worth much past that. But does anyone use it for 10 mins or more to get better results?

Is there any reason I should NOT do a longer soak? Like if my bottles all soak together and I pull them one-by-one to fill them, then theoretically the last bottle out of 48 will have had a longer exposure...any harm or benefit?

Thanks in advance!

-Tripod

Blender 09-20-2008 04:45 AM

If the equpment is clean before going in the iodaphor then the 2 minute soak should work just fine. I have a 10 gallon container that I mix 5 gallons in and let stuff soak until I need it because it's convienient.

If you have a dishwasher you can use the top rack for the bottles to drain and the door for the filling. I used to do 12- 18 at a time and never had any problems.

fratermus 09-20-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod (Post 859578)
My question: Do any of you use Iodophor for longer soak/exposure times to get better sanitizing effects? I realize that it's pointless to leave a solution longer than, say, 24 hours because it won't be worth much past that. But does anyone use it for 10 mins or more to get better results?

Not for better results, but I tend to put things that will fit in the bucket in the bucket and leave it there. And pluck it out when ready to use it (stoppers, funnels, hoses, whatever).

It's more of a "ready when I want to use it" thing.

I think the only downside would be increased staining if that kind of thing bothers you.

Tripod 09-20-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fratermus (Post 859815)
Not for better results, but I tend to put things that will fit in the bucket in the bucket and leave it there. And pluck it out when ready to use it (stoppers, funnels, hoses, whatever).

It's more of a "ready when I want to use it" thing.

I think the only downside would be increased staining if that kind of thing bothers you.

First: Thanks for the fast replys!

Second: Fratermus, I'm with you on that. I was more thinking that I could sanatize all at once and then pull items as needed. I'm not too worried about staining but I wanted to be sure I was not going to hurt anything by having some items exposed longer than others, etc.

The more I study about sanatization, the more I see that it has to be done but it's not like I have to shave the dog. ;) I need to be wary but not kill myself to create a sterile operation-room-ready environment. So my bigger concern was too much exposure to Iodophor (or any other chemical) but it looks like I don't need to worry about it. Aside from the obvious, that is...(like oxyclean on metal...)

-Tripod

Tripod 09-20-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blender (Post 859667)
If you have a dishwasher you can use the top rack for the bottles to drain and the door for the filling. I used to do 12- 18 at a time and never had any problems.

Blender, I like the dishwasher rack idea. That sounds like a plan I could use. I'm curious about something...do I need to sanatize the rack itself and, if so, how do you guys do it? Could I just spray some of the Iodophor onto the rack before I move sanatized bottles onto it? Or am I taking this a little too seriously? :D

-Tripod

hopsalot 09-20-2008 07:48 PM

I have had about 45 bottles draining in my dishwasher at once. you could just run the dishwasher and it will be sanitized, you may taking it to seriously, RDWHAHB

Blender 09-20-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod (Post 860141)
Blender, I like the dishwasher rack idea. That sounds like a plan I could use. I'm curious about something...do I need to sanatize the rack itself and, if so, how do you guys do it? Could I just spray some of the Iodophor onto the rack before I move sanatized bottles onto it? Or am I taking this a little too seriously? :D

-Tripod

I never did and I don't think it is needed. No more bottling for me though as I went the keg route.

Tripod 09-21-2008 02:46 AM

Thanks all for helping me piece this out. I'm just trying to cover the angles before the mistakes are made. Once I have some, I'll RDWHAHB.

BTW, first brew happens Monday...so ready!! :ban:


-Tripod

Tripod 09-21-2008 03:26 AM

Thanks all for helping me piece this out. I'm just trying to cover the angles before the mistakes are made. Once I have some, I'll RDWHAHB.

BTW, first brew happens Monday...so ready!! :ban:


-Tripod

DutchK9 09-21-2008 07:39 AM

I use Idophor and mix 1/4 tsp in a spray bottle. I spray everything down that comes in contact with the wort, but that's about it (no 2 minute soaks). I might be playing with fire, but I haven't had any infections issues yet. Although I believe sterilizing is necessary, I think some get to anal over it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.