Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anxiety

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Gitchigumi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anxiety

Hi, first post.

Have any other newbies bought a brew kit and then felt overwelmed by the process? That's kinda where I am at right now. The fear of the unknown is a bit daunting and I am worried about making my first brew. My "fear" is that I will get started, the kettle will boil over or I will forget the finishing hops or some other unforeseen event will occur. I've got the space in my basement to do this right (I think) and time scheduled. I want my first brew to be perfect, no stuff floating in suspension, no off metallic or plastic taste, etc. is it pretty easy once you get started?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Hops4life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

Just be sure you know your steps ahead of time and are prepared as you go along for whatever is next.

That said I doubt anyone on here will say they have ever had a batch that was perfect. I know I can't make that claim even on beers I thought turned out great there is always something I feel I could have done better or more efficiently.

Just relax and enjoy the process and you will be fine.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Beer was made thousands of years ago. No worries

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
cgherrington3
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBrew View Post
Beer was made thousands of years ago. No worries
couldn't have said it better

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitchigumi
Hi, first post.

Have any other newbies bought a brew kit and then felt overwelmed by the process? That's kinda where I am at right now. The fear of the unknown is a bit daunting and I am worried about making my first brew. My "fear" is that I will get started, the kettle will boil over or I will forget the finishing hops or some other unforeseen event will occur. I've got the space in my basement to do this right (I think) and time scheduled. I want my first brew to be perfect, no stuff floating in suspension, no off metallic or plastic taste, etc. is it pretty easy once you get started?
I deal with anxiety on a daily basis but I can't say I've ever worried about a brew.

Yes, it's pretty easy. No, it won't be perfect. There might be off tastes from the water you use, or from the fact that you're not controlling temps. This is normal for a beginner. Chances are you'll love it anyways.

And there will definitely be stuff floating in suspension, especially during fermentation.

Just ask yourself... so what if these things happen? Is it really the end of the world? Of course not. If it boils over, you can clean it up. I've been brewing for a while and the idea of a perfect brew seems as likely as the idea of unicorns.

Mistakes are going to happen. And you'll learn from them. If you can't deal with that, this may not be the hobby for you.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Brewshock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just relax and enjoy it. A brew day checklist comes in very handy. I never sat down on my first batch. Now I am able to chill and enjoy the experience. A timer is a great friend also.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

Ha! Enjoyed reading that. There's an expression you'll see in almost every thread on here that means relax, don't worry, have a home brew (RDWHAHB). Take that advice then follow the directions and all will be well.
If you read a lot, you'll hear how there are lots of ways to mess up your beer, but in reality, as long as you take your time and use common sense, it is unlikely you'll do something to ruin a batch.
If it still seems daunting, rewrite you directions one line at a time and cross them out as you go. Or maybe measure/lay out your ingredients and water additions before starting. Just relax and get at it. It should be fun! So, RDWHAHB and start brewing.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3054 Times on 1924 Posts
Likes Given: 2593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitchigumi View Post
Hi, first post.
It's gonna be fine. In your life, this should be the least worrisome thing you do.

No matter how it turns out, you will be old one day and you'll look back on this experience with fondness. With that in mind, know that you can't make a mistake.

Cheers! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay

I deal with anxiety on a daily basis but I can't say I've ever worried about a brew.

Yes, it's pretty easy. No, it won't be perfect. There might be off tastes from the water you use, or from the fact that you're not controlling temps. This is normal for a beginner. Chances are you'll love it anyways.

And there will definitely be stuff floating in suspension, especially during fermentation.

Just ask yourself... so what if these things happen? Is it really the end of the world? Of course not. If it boils over, you can clean it up. I've been brewing for a while and the idea of a perfect brew seems as likely as the idea of unicorns.

Mistakes are going to happen. And you'll learn from them. If you can't deal with that, this may not be the hobby for you.
I couldn't agree with you more! I think brewing is about the only time I'm not anxious!

I say relax and have fun with it. Keep a checklist, set your timer, and wait until you start the boil to start drinking - not so you don't make mistakes, but so you can remember what you did, so when the mistake leads to awesome beer, you can do it again!

Good luck with the first batch and welcome to the hobby/addiction!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'm someone who over prepares and over worries and freaks out so I can sympathize - it is easy to get overwhelmed. And totally unnecessary.

Just write a list of steps and take your time with your first brews, don't panic if you get stuck on something, you're not going to ruin the beer. You will be absolutely fine. You'll get better with each brew and identify new things to make your beer better as you continue to brew. Don't try to tackle it all at once, it is important to brew a number of times to get used to this and that.

Also, here's 600 or so posts of reassurance:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Quick Reply

Newest Threads