Another week in primary? or another week in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i got a late start for my Christmas beer and now i have a decision to make and could use some advice. this upcoming Saturday will be 2 weeks in primary. do i bottle then and have 3 1/2 weeks in bottle till xmas? or wait another week for 3 week primary and then only have 2 1/2 weeks in bottle till xmas day. either way im thinking its gonna be a little green and probably will be much better come January, but i want to hopefully drink some on xmas day with family. shes a partial boil extract kit with light malt extract, hops, honey and a variety of spices. pitched a nottingham dry yeast with a O.G. of 1.050 and had activity in about 12 hours. thanx for any help and a happy thanksgiving to all! :mug:

If the gravity is stable, there's no need to wait on bottling, and the sooner you bottle the better the carbonation by Christmas. Like you said, it might be a little green, but it's going to be green whether it's in the bottle or the bucket for that extra week.

The biggest point being,did you check it with a hydrometer to make sure it's at a stable FG? Some things can't be rushed to fit your schedule & this is one of them.

I have 6.5 gallons I am bottling this weekend, and two smaller batches of 2.5 and 3.0 gallons that I will be bottling the following weekend. I expect all to be ready for Christmas.

If I were you, I think I'd leave it a week to let it clear more. That way there will be less trub in the bottles.

Store all bottles at 70+F, to get them carb'd by Christmas. Keep them warm and you should be OK.

2 weeks in primary is good . Better to bottle condition longer in my opinion . I normally hate my beers before at least 3 weeks in the bottle and a month is almost always real good .

Back