The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another turkey fryer question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Another turkey fryer question

I've read a bit on here about turkey fryers and have been thinking about getting one (also, the wife is bugging me about the smell during the boils!) Anyway, is the aluminum pot that comes with the kits from HD or Lowe's or Dick's ok to brew in? Or should I use my usual stanless steel pot I've been using? I don't have a wort chiller (yet) so I'll probably still be doing half boils. Although this would give me an excuse to buy a chller, or better yet try and make one.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Absolutely ok to brew in.

Look here for more info:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...for_brewing%3F

Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew
Although this would give me an excuse to buy a chller, or better yet try and make one.
Brew with confidence, that aluminum pot is fine.

And buy that wort chiller. (You're going to end up buying it eventually anyhow, why not enjoy it now!)

Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I need both. Three and a half hours to extract brew is BS...........

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

the only down side to that aluminum pot is its durability. usually those 'came with the fryer' pots are extremely thin walled. it makes it difficult to add a weldless drain valve as the walls flex too much once drilled.
and you need to be careful about pouring it, mainly if you use the edge of the counter as a leverage point, you may dent the pot.

beyond that, I'd boil some water in it once, just to get the dark oxidation to form so there is no interaction with the acidic wort.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
the only down side to that aluminum pot is its durability. usually those 'came with the fryer' pots are extremely thin walled. it makes it difficult to add a weldless drain valve as the walls flex too much once drilled.
and you need to be careful about pouring it, mainly if you use the edge of the counter as a leverage point, you may dent the pot.

beyond that, I'd boil some water in it once, just to get the dark oxidation to form so there is no interaction with the acidic wort.

Not sure what you've seen, but the one I just picked up has a pretty substantial wall thickness.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Mine seems more thin on the bottom, not the sides so much. But the thing wasn't heavy duty either. I already dented it and I haven't even brewed with it yet!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
cglkaptc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The couple books that I have read tell me not to use aluminum Pots because they add off flavors. However, everyone in here says it doen't effect it at all. I wish I would have known that before I bought my $40 stainless steal brewpot, because at Meijer that have the turky fryer on clearance for $18, and I put it down because of the stupid book.

He who goes to bed with itchy butt wakes up with stinky finger.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using a couple of those cheap walmart turkey fryer sets for over a year. They've performed great---though one has a hole in its LPG tubing, so I picked this baby up at home depot over the weekend:

150k BTU's instead of the 55k that the turkey fryers have.

The only real drawback to the fryer kits is that once you move to all-grain brewing and full boils, the 30qt kettle that comes with the turkey fryer kits is not really big enough. But the kettles are still nice to have around. I still mash in them and use them to heat up my strike & sparge water. But if I were you, I'd also get yourself a nice big aluminum kettle. I paid $70 at Instawares for a 15 gallon aluminum kettle (shipped!) and it's one of the best things I ever did.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The home depot is lying. According to bayouclassicdepot.com, the SQ14 is only 55k BTU (unless you upgrade the regulator to a 15 or 20PSI from the stock 10PSI one).

That being said, I used my SQ14 to bring 13gal of wort to a boil on Saturday without a problem.

Quick Reply