Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another "tried my first home brew" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
BrewN00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Another "tried my first home brew" thread

I did, and it tastes like....well nothing. There really wasn't much taste to speak of, except a slight metallic aftertaste, which I assume is because it is still somewhat green.

I did A True Brew Pale Ale Extract kit, which used;
1) Can of Muttons Hopped Light Malt Extract
2) 2 pounds Light Dried Malt Extract
3) 6oz crystal malt grains
4) 1oz hops

My OG was right on the final at 1.044, my FG was 1.010, both right on the money.

I aged in the Primary for a week, racked to a secondary for another week, than bottled for two more. I cracked one open as a test to check carbonation, at it had a light head, but excellent carbonation, a wonderful dark, golden color, and a pretty light smell. I did not smell off, although since I do not have a trained palate, I could be wrong.

I tasted it and, like I said, it hadn't much taste to speak of. It tasty like a crappy domestic, and a pretty lingering metallic aftertaste. Needless to say, my first home brew will linger a little bit more in the closet to hopefully age and develop an actual taste.

I consider this a learning experience, and overall a success, even if the final product isn't as good as I would like it to be.

Primary Fermenter: English ESB

Secondary: EMPTY :(

Secondary: Empty :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
THart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It'll be better in a few weeks. More hops would't hurt next time. Dry hopping especially makes a world of difference.

The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply