Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another Kit Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
atomicskiracer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Another Kit Thread

I am looking to get into Home Brewing, but honestly am overwhelmed with the amount of kit options. The Northern Brewing deluxe starter kit (with the glass upgrade) was highly suggested to me....As I was looking to pull the trigger, I found the living social deal for the Beginners kit from Midwest. At this point, i am over thinking things, so I am here for advice! I have been wanting to do this forever, and is not something I plan on doing once and moving on from....Even more so, I am planning on giving out my own home brew at my wedding later this year.

Any thoughts on the two kits would be helpful!

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/begin...ewing-kit.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/d...arter-kit.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
jmcvay131
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just started to. All I did was go to lowes and made all my stuff my self. The fermenting buck is just a 5 gallon food safe bucket. Drill a hole in the lid and get the rubber grommet that you need for your air lock and you cand buy a pot to boil in at Walmart too. Just look around. My wort chiller I made for 30 bucks from lowes 20'

Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
sabo38
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have my first batch fermenting in the Northern Brewer Deluxe Kit. Basically the only three extra things I bought was a 8 gallon SS bewing pot, a hydrometer and a long spoon. The insructions were easy to follow and I think it came with pretty much everything needed to brew some fine extract batches.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I'd say either one of those kits are a good way to get into the hobby. Not too expensive and has what ya need to make beer. Personally, I'm partial to Midwest, but that's just as an in store customer at both places, either is a great kit. I would upgrade the Midwest kit to one that also includes a glass or PET carboy.

Choose an ingredient kit for a style that you really like as well, but one that's also fairly straight forward. Pale, brown and amber ales are popular and very easy to brew.

Congrats, this is a hobby that will bring you years of enjoyment (and drunkenness )

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I also have Northern's deluxe kit, I'm very happy with it, but since its purchase I ordered a second primary fermenter, and a food grad PVC bucket just to stor my sanitizer in. As mentioned above you will also need a brew kettle ( I purchased a 5 gal. ). If you need to brew a couple batches for the wedding I would suggest looking for a free carboy deal from one of those two online retailers. I would not suggest using PVC buckets for primaries simply because you can't monitor fermentation nearly as we'll. I recently fermented two separate batches in glass carboys and was very happy. While they were finishing up I moved forward with a third batch. In my rush to find a 3rd primary fermenter I decided to use the ale pale that I purchased for storing my sanitizer. I was very unhappy with the fermentation process as I became used to monitoring fermentation through the glass carboy, now I was essentially blind, to nervous to open the lid until it was time for a SG reading just prior to moving the beer to the secondary fermenter. In short many on this forum live for the buckets, and many live for the glass carboys, just as many like to rack there beer to a secondary no matter what, where as many promote a secondary only when dry hopping and the like. In the end it's personal preference, but I promote the use of only glass carboys. Go for the deluxe northern kit, and try to get a second carboy included, I'm sure you will need it depending on the size of your wedding. At northern they have a free 25$ gift card deal running now for each 150$ you spend, plus the deluxe kit comes with on extract kit.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If you plan on bottling, consider buying a kit without a wing capper. You'll soon be wishing for a bench capper to make the bottling process faster and more convenient.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
peteyb
Recipes 

I would go with the LivingSocial/Midwest kit. Its a very good deal and if you can get 3 friends and/or HBT members to buy one using your referral link you can get the whole thing for $12 shipped. Check out this thread for more info http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/grea...al-com-385410/

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
atomicskiracer
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses so far! The biggest downside to the MW kit is that it doesn't come with glass carboys, which i much prefer over the plastic (after research), and realistically buying glass carboys separately makes the price difference negligible.

Is it wrong to think that the NB is a better quality starter kit? I would prefer to spend a little more now, to have a better set up to start off with.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks like the biggest difference between the two kits is carboy vs bucket for fermenter, and secondary or not. I like the bucket fermenters, and prefer not to use a secondary. This link discusses pros and cons of these and other issues:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
atomicskiracer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
Looks like the biggest difference between the two kits is carboy vs bucket for fermenter, and secondary or not. I like the bucket fermenters, and prefer not to use a secondary. This link discusses pros and cons of these and other issues:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/
Excellent reads....I think that for the recipe that I have in mind (for the wedding, I plan on sticking to the kits verbatim for my first few batches before trying to add anything) I will absolutely be using a secondary, so I suppose that would be another benefit of the NB kit...

Quick Reply