Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another "I think I ruined my first batch" thread. What went wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
MTB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another "I think I ruined my first batch" thread. What went wrong?

Brewed this past Friday and took hydrometer readings today. After taking the readings, I took a sip of the beer and it tasted like straight up plastic.

I believe the problem is that I boiled 3gals water and didn't cool it enough before transferring it to my fermenting bucket. It took FOREVER to cool down.

If I had a sanitizing issue then here is how I handled that process - I filled a spray bottle with a mixture of Star San. On the bottle, it said to spray the surface and wipe away with a brush cloth. I sprayed everything (inside the bucket, dial thermometer, spoon), let it sit for 10 seconds, then wiped away with a paper towel. Did I do it wrong?

If the yeast was the problem - I used Munton's yeast. I cooled my 2gal of wort to 60-65deg and the 3gal in my fermenting bucket was around 85-90deg. I mixed the 2 and assumed the final temperature would be sufficient for the yeast. Fermentation temperature was 70-75 for the first few days and now it is around 65-70.

What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
trizzant
Recipes 

Not sure about the plastic taste is, I haven't read anything about that. As for the StarSan it is made to be ingested without effecting the taste of the beer. Wiping it with a paper towel afterwards basically nulls out the fact that you sanitized. The paper towel could have bacteria on it. I doubt anything is wrong. Wait 3-4 weeks and bottle.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Worst case scenario you are looking at around 90* when you pitched the yeast. That is not high enough to kill them. Next time wait for the temp to come down though, it is better for the yeast that way.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Give it time, it's still really young.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
MTB
Recipes 

Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the responses/support!

For my future batches, I think I'm just going to buy 2gals of spring water from the store to add to my wort.

As for sanitizing, is it sufficient for me to just spray everything down with Star San and not wipe?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB View Post
Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the responses/support!

For my future batches, I think I'm just going to buy 2gals of spring water from the store to add to my wort.

As for sanitizing, is it sufficient for me to just spray everything down with Star San and not wipe?
Yeah. StarSan and OneStep are both designed to be no-rinse sanitizers so there's no need to wipe them off and, as stated in one of the posts above, wiping them with a cloth will negate any sanitizing done.

This is not to say that your batch is ruined. Just give it some time and let it ferment.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
triethylborane
Recipes 

Adding spring water is not going be much different than adding tap water in terms of bacteria. Nothing a little star san & ethanol cannot cure. Also boiling water removes oxygen and can be problematic for aerating the wort.

I fill with tap water, which is pretty decent here in Denver met. area (except for Englewood!).

Wort never tastes good to me. I like beer.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It's real early in the game. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle and wait another 3 weeks.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

"Plastic taste" tends to be chlorophenols. That usually is from chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. But pitching the yeast at such a high temperature could be a big contributor.

Next time, don't pitch the yeast until the wort is 70 degrees or under, and try to keep the fermenting beer under 70 degrees. That will make a huge difference. Try using spring water from the store instead of tap water if your water company using chloramines or chlorine.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I'm curious about the "I filled a spray bottle with a mixture of Star San. On the bottle, it said to spray the surface and wipe away with a brush cloth." So you grabbed a random spray bottle, filled it with a starsan solution, then followed the instructions on the bottle? As in the instructions for whatever was originally in the bottle?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply