Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another FG question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
OlRed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another FG question

I brewed the extract version of Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA and I bottled it yesterday. I followed the recipe exactly and let it go 10 days in primary and 7 days in secondary at around 61*F for each. The OG was 1.080 and FG was 1.021. My thoughts were that the FG still seems a little high even though in Yooper's AG recipe she listed an expected FG of 1.017. I'm not overly concerned but I just wanted to get other folk's opinions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Has the FG been consistent over a couple days? It's common for extract recipes to stop around 1.020 and, besides, you're only 4 points off. If the FG stays where it is, I'd say it's done.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
OlRed
Recipes 

because of my work schedule i wasn't able to take a FG for multiple days (i know i should have). I realize that airlock activity is no judge of fermentation but i was without ANY airlock activity for the last 6-7 days of primary and 4-5 days of secondary fermentation. I'm just wondering if some of you experienced brewers think of the possibility of bombs. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Garlic_Mash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlRed View Post
... i was without ANY airlock activity for the last 6-7 days of primary and 4-5 days of secondary fermentation. I'm just wondering if some of you experienced brewers think of the possibility of bombs. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Not only is an airlock a very poor indicator of activity, remember how often you're not observing it directly. What seems like 5 days of no activity is just as possibly 5 days of no activity [I[that you saw[/I]. (unless it's an uncommon noisy airlock, it could well be bubbling now and again when you're not within earshot)

If you're worried, put it in a keg, instead of bottles. If that's not an option; (you'll hate me, but...) open one in a week, and one a few days after that. (you'll have to drink beer. Here, lemme twist your arm)

If either are significantly 'over' carbonated, move them to a bomb shelter. (alternately, open the lot, pour them into a sanitized carboy/alepail and let them go a bit)

"It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sommbitch or another."
-Mal
"Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?"
-Jayne

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
OlRed
Recipes 

So is a FG of 1.021 unusually high or is it reasonable? i've never brewed a "bigger" beer before so I don't have any previous experience to fall back on...

Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

1.021 is normal for extract. take another reading tomorrow and go from there. if it's the same, as i expect, bottle. if not, wait a few more days

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1569 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic_Mash View Post
Not only is an airlock a very poor indicator of activity, remember how often you're not observing it directly. What seems like 5 days of no activity is just as possibly 5 days of no activity [I[that you saw[/I]. (unless it's an uncommon noisy airlock, it could well be bubbling now and again when you're not within earshot)

If you're worried, put it in a keg, instead of bottles. If that's not an option; (you'll hate me, but...) open one in a week, and one a few days after that. (you'll have to drink beer. Here, lemme twist your arm)

If either are significantly 'over' carbonated, move them to a bomb shelter. (alternately, open the lot, pour them into a sanitized carboy/alepail and let them go a bit)
I've noticed green beers often seem more carbonated than they actually are (and have seen this echoed many a time on this forum). May not be the best indicator. I'd recommend just putting them in a bomb shelter to be safe, and not waste a couple potentially good beers testing them. After the standard 3 weeks, put em in the fridge a week (if it hasn't bombed yet, I'd think a week in the fridge would prevent one anyway) and then open with care after that. Most of my past extract batches have ended in the high teens/low 20s, so I think you're most likely okay.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
OlRed
Recipes 

whew.....now i can RDWHAWB! Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply