Another "Duh hey I have an off taste George What do i do" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
So been in bottle for a week ( I know green) its a kit and kilo beer used half dme and us-05 and topped up with tap water. Tasted one always do after a week, 2 weeks and so on. Other than tasting green it has this weird almost tangy taste on the back sides of the tongue, that after a bit almost tastes metallic. I made Yuri's TSPA hydro sample has the same taste, got a coopers pale in fermentor hydro sample has same weird taste. Now I'm convinced my water has the same taste (well water). I've never noticed it before but maybe the hot dry summer has taken a toll. Anywho say its just green it will age and all will be well, but if it is my water my question is: Will this taste go away with time, or will bad water make bad beer no matter what the age of it.

Does your well water have high iron content? If so, that could be the metallic flavor. I've also heard people describe acetaldehyde (green apple) as metallic which is usually a consequence of stressed yeast.

Not that I know of, nothing gets stained from the water and it has always tasted incredible (house has all pex water lines). As for yeast it is possible took 3 weeks to ferment with a 48 hour lag time temps were perfect though. As for the TSPA used S-04 and it was fermenting like crazy within 12 hrs, so don't think taste is from yeast unless all fermentis yeast have a strange green taste.

Edit: Just pulled another one for a taste. Crash cooled in freezer than in fridge for few hours, (the first one I had was 2 days ago) already more carbonated, head starting to develop and that strong taste I mentioned above has faded into more of a green apple taste making me feel so much better knowing that this will clear up. So don't mind me I havn't brewed anything since spring, got a bad case of the dummies.

Still curious about whether or not off taste from water will clear up or if its something that due to the chemistry of the water permanently affects the taste of the beer.

Back