Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another Cooper's question... IPA kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
arundel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Cooper's question... IPA kit

Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...

Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Bacchus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundel View Post
Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...

Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...

I brewed that kit a couple of years ago and did the same thing. Dumped everything in....and it came out great. Relax. It's really hard to screw up a Coopers beer kit. LOL!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
JGB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just made Cooper's IPA for my 3rd batch tonight.

You didn't pitch your yeast in near boiling water did you? I hope that you waited for it to cool off a bit. Ideally you should pitch the yeast into the wort when it's 70-80F. It will be ok if it's a little warmer than that. I learned this the hard way on my last batch and it's turning out ok. (with some banana esters that won't bother me much).

"Warning: consumption of this alcoholic beverage may make individual appearances and dumb ideas (glug glug glug) more better!"

Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
arundel
Recipes 

Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundel View Post
Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!
you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer

Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Bacchus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer
Just out of curiosity.....how does boiling malt make for an "astringent" beer? Every beer kit and recipe I've ever made called for boiling the DME for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes a half hour to 45 minutes.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Bacchus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.
Interesting. I'll have to research that one a little. I just made a Belgian Strong Ale about a month ago and the recipe called for the DME to be added to the final 15 minutes of the boil. This was a Northern Brewer kit.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
arundel
Recipes 

well crap!....this is getting worse. It was a dry malt extract and I didn't boil it at all. I just dissolved it in about a gallon of boiling water along with the dextrose..

Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

ok I think we are just having a terminology breakdown here. im referring to malt as the actual grains, not the DME/LME. in the OP, I assumed the concentrate mentioned was the extract and the 500g of malt mentioned was grains. was there any actual grains in the kit?

Quick Reply