New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anatomy of the pour.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
pperrydawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anatomy of the pour.....

So I've had my Kolsch in bottles now for almost 2 weeks. I posted earlier that I tried one a week ago and it was already carbed up fairly well and had a pretty good taste. Well, I tried another last night and it was even better and very close to what I would call a pretty darn good beer. A couple questions came to mind though. First, when I usually pour my regular Coors light into a glass, I try and pour as quietly as possible which produces very little head. Thats just the way I like it. Should I pour the same way with my home-brews? Would more head bring out taste and aroma that I would miss out on with my normal method? If so, what is the best way to pour?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

pour it how you like it.

I like to fill the glass to the top with head so the head is flush with the rim of the glass. I usually pour a quick pour right down the middle to gauge how much carbonation I'm getting from this specific beer and then I usually pour aggressively down the side. I pour down the middle if there is little carbonation or slowly down the side if there is a lot of carbonation.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Send me some of your beers and I will try each of them with a different pour technique and report back my findings

Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I pour my homebrews, I usually tilt the glass for a smooth pour until the bottles about half empty. Then I straighten out the glass and pour the bottle into the center of the glass which usually leaves me with a nice creamy head that's nearly overflowing the glass. I find this to be the best method for me, it gives me a nice thick head. i do think it comes down to personal prefferance though.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
pperrydawg
Recipes 

Ha Ha Remman4! Nice try!

I guess too each his own is probably the best policy on the pouring. I do like hearing the different methods. I might try a few of them just to see how I like it.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have found that I pour my different beers differently. Some of then do not have a very big head and I want as much as I can get with them so I pour aggressively. Others pour with what I consider too much so I pour them very gently.

Pour for what gives you what you like!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
When I pour my homebrews, I usually tilt the glass for a smooth pour until the bottles about half empty. Then I straighten out the glass and pour the bottle into the center of the glass which usually leaves me with a nice creamy head that's nearly overflowing the glass. I find this to be the best method for me, it gives me a nice thick head. i do think it comes down to personal prefferance though.
Does this not give you a lot of sediment in your glass?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

No,not if the beer has been chilled about a week,1st off. This compacts the yeast dregs more tightly on the bottom of the bottle. Secondly,do not let the beer go "glub glub" as you start the pour. Pour slowly at first till you get some room in the bottle to pour faster. This keeps the beer from getting stirred up at the beginning. Then continue whichever pouring method. When the yeast dregs move up to the shoulder of the bottle,stop pouring. Your beer will be nice & clear.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I pour quietly along the side to keep the sediment on the bottom (unless it is one that enjoys the clumps, like a good bavarian hefe). If your priming is correct to style, this should give a nice head; when it does not, I use a chopstick to swirl the beer in the glass which produces a nice creamy head.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Gotcha

Quick Reply