Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Amount of water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Kaedos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Amount of water

So I've brewed a couple of batches so far, with the help of my LHBS. I ended up buying ingredients from them after having already purchasing a wheat kit.

So I have this partial wheat kit sitting around that I'm cannabilizing.
Here is my recipe:
2 - 3.3# cans of unhopped wheat malt extract
2 # of Muntons Amber DME

1 oz Centeniall hops (at 30min)
1 oz Cascade at 30min
1 oz Cascade at 15min

Now my real question is with the 6.6 pounds of liquid extract, and the two pounds of DME, how much water should I boil in my brew pot to add these ingredients to? (I don't have the capability to boil 5 gallons at this time)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It all depends on how much your BK will hold. I use a 4 gallon BK and boil 3 gallons, topping off once it goes into the fermentor.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Kaedos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alright, I didn't know if there was a magical number there, something to do with the point of solubility of sugars in water.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaedos View Post
Alright, I didn't know if there was a magical number there, something to do with the point of solubility of sugars in water.
Amount of water really (practically) only makes a difference concerning hop utilization. The more water you have in the kettle, the higher the IBU's in the finished product.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com
wolfstar Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2290 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

If you have a 5 gallon (20QT) kettle,you can boil up to 3.5 gallons safely. If you keep an eye out for hot break. I even boil that much in mine for PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Kaedos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Excellent, I really appreciate the responses. I'm pretty much throwing together some random ingredients that I just have on hand because I'm itching to brew and I'm broke - so who knows what will result. I tried using the brewing calculators, but I'm not very good with them yet either.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Not to get to crazy here...but...

Once I got a flow chiller I started doing full boils of water and everything else except the malt extracts. I add those at flameout after the last hop addition.

You will get better hop utilization (which may or may not matter to you), the boil overs just don't happen (for me at least) and you will never have to worry about scorched malt extract on the bottom of the kettle...

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
Kaedos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I formulated my recipe and did it up tonight, with about a gallon and half of water in the pot. I can't do full boils yet as I'm brewing on an old electric stove.
I crushed the pound of grains and infused at 160 for half an hour, then sparged some of the wort over it. Brought to boil, added 2 pounds of the amber dried extract, and the 6.6 pounds of wheat malt extract. Cascade and Centeniall hops for 30 minutes, then another ounce of Cascade at 15 minutes. I chilled with 6 bottles of frozen water (after sterilizing in the sink) and brought down to pitching temp in about 15 minutes. (Also the bottled water I was using was chilled in the freezing to about 40 degrees, so that helped). This is my third batch, and I think it went very well. If I used my hydrometer correctly, I believe my starting gravity is 1.058, reading taken at about 70 degrees.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaedos View Post
Well, I formulated my recipe and did it up tonight, with about a gallon and half of water in the pot. I can't do full boils yet as I'm brewing on an old electric stove.
I crushed the pound of grains and infused at 160 for half an hour, then sparged some of the wort over it. Brought to boil, added 2 pounds of the amber dried extract, and the 6.6 pounds of wheat malt extract. Cascade and Centeniall hops for 30 minutes, then another ounce of Cascade at 15 minutes. I chilled with 6 bottles of frozen water (after sterilizing in the sink) and brought down to pitching temp in about 15 minutes. (Also the bottled water I was using was chilled in the freezing to about 40 degrees, so that helped). This is my third batch, and I think it went very well. If I used my hydrometer correctly, I believe my starting gravity is 1.058, reading taken at about 70 degrees.
Next time, add the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil and the beer will taste less like "cooked extract" and not be quite as dark, especially if you can only boil 1.5 gallons. I'd use a pound of extract at the beginning, and add the rest at flame out.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #10
Kaedos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Huh, that's certainly different from the way I've been doing it now. So are you saying that the infusing of the grains is more important than the boiling of the extracts?

Quick Reply