Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > American wheat and yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
tmmeekins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American wheat and yeast question

New guy to brewing (2 batches under the belt) with probably either a simple or dumb question.....I am doing extra t at the moment to get a handle of the simple steps and once I have that down I will move to all grain...but as it stands I'm going yo be doing an American wheat extra t kit as it was given to me as a gift....my question is would it workout to use the wyeast 3638 to try and get a bit of banana and clove hint in the beer? I understand the American wheat typically doesn't really have those flavors but I was thinking of trying it out....but would hate to waste time, effort, and beer for something that just wasn't meant to be paired. And comments are/or opinions I welcome.

Thanks....Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you want to, it should be ok .did it come with yeast?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Jeepinfool86
Recipes 

If you want to stay within style you wont want to use 3638. But I say screw following styles. If you would like a bannan/clove in your beer then do it.
The great thing about homebrewing is that you can make something that not everyone can get.
Being a Newbie, One thing to think about is if your worried that the beer wont turn out you might want to follow the recipe.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
what's "extra T"?
Haha, i think someones 'c' key doesn't work

Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4931 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly View Post
Haha, i think someones 'c' key doesn't work
Oh, jeez. I can't believe I didn't think of that! I was thinking it was some sort of new kit, like True Brew.

Sorry for being a doofus. Carry on.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I assume what you're pondering is a German wheat beer that is hopped like an American wheat, since if you go with the Bavarian yeast, there will be nothing left to make it American other than hop flavor/aroma. I can't say that I ever recall having tasted anything like that before, but if you aren't concerned about mixing styles, then go for it, you might like it. Also, keep in mind that from a homebrewing perspective, getting both the clove and banana to come through can be a challenge. Unless you have experience with Hefe's, you're likely to get one or the other, but not both. And my money is on the banana being the flavor that comes through.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
tmmeekins
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback....I'm just going to give it a try I guess....although I'm going with 3068 rather than 3638.......it will be a while before I can..but once I have a taste ill let you all know if it was ok or did it find its way down the drain.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I also love that banana flavor you get from a good yeast. Best of luck!

Slightly off topic but, I've had some bad batches (although mostly good) but I'd hate to think how bad it would have to be for me to dump it.

I brewed a porter that foamed so much that I started with 1 oz of beer and 19oz of foam. It took nearly an hour to get it all in the glass.

I brewed a RyePA that was so bitter I had to add a splash of apple juice to every glass just to make it drinkable, but I drank it anyway.

I'm an admitted cheapskate. I can't stand waste. I clean my plate whether I like it or not, even if I have to undo my belt to get the job done. I might be a little OCD when it comes to waste. I definitely don't consider myself normal, so your milage will most likely vary. The thought of dumping a batch that I spent so much time, effort and money on makes me nauseous so I'm going to think about nice things and keep from loosing my breakfast. That would be a waste too.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
tmmeekins
Recipes 

I hear you...I'm probably full of it and when and if the time came.....I would figure out a way to choke it down....I mean..in a younger time I did choke down a skunked..slightly warm moose head...I believe that was a low for me....if I can drink that then I can drink anything.

Quick Reply