The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > American Wheat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
henrybeggs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default American Wheat Beer

I ordered the kit from Northern Brewer and I'm planning on having my very first (beer) brew day tomorrow. I was wondering if there were any easy things I could do to make the brew a little more summery. I recently tried Leinenkugel's Summer Wheat beer and soon fell in love. I'm not looking for a clone by any means, but how can I easily incorporate an orangey, citrusy flavor into this beer.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Ferment it a bit and pitch it on the low side of the yeast's range (I did mine at 64), and give it extra time on the yeast cake to finish out. Do a rest in the 70's for a couple days before racking it, and it'll be a very light bodied clean tasting beer. Serve it with an orange slice. You're golden.

i don't really like Hefe's (traditionally) but my wife does so I made one for her. Damned if it turn out AWESOME.

I used the American Wheat 2 yeast from Wyeast, and it actually flocculated decently enough that I can see the outlines of my fingers throught the slightly cloudy beer. I'm sure if you give it plenty of time on the yeast cake whatever american wheat yeast you use will be just as good.

Somebody will probably show up to tell you that you don't need to do the diacetyl rest (the room temp rest I referred too) but I just wanted to share what worked for me ;-)

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 83 batches and counting (as of 6/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
smokinj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Adding the zest from a couple lemons and/or oranges late in the boil will give you that citrus, and make for an awesome summery wheat beer.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
gray7103
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Adding fresh zest from a couple of oranges and/or a lemon is a good way to increase citrus in wheat beers, but don't go overboard (I have before and it's not good). Be sure not to cut into the white part (pith) of the fruit when cutting away the zest, as it is very bitter. Add late in the boil with 5 min left.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinj View Post
Adding the zest from a couple lemons and/or oranges late in the boil will give you that citrus, and make for an awesome summery wheat beer.
Ditto this. I added the zest of 5 large lemons with 10 minutes to go in the boil and it turned out great. Next time I'll swap some lemon for orange. Also you could consider adding a pound of honey.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
henrybeggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinj View Post
Awesome, how much would you say? And for how long?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybeggs View Post
Awesome, how much would you say? And for how long?
If you want a fairly strong citrus flavor, I'd try about 3oz for 5 gallons. I recently made a Belgian Wit with about half of that, and the citrus is there but fairly reserved.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
smokinj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't have my notes with me, but I believe I used zest from 2 lemons and 2 oranges, all of average size, in my last batch and it was excellent. Just put them in with 5 minutes or so left in the boil.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
henrybeggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I went ahead and brewed my beer today. It went well (except I burned the hell out of my fingers on the pot.) I went ahead added the zest of one lemon with about ten minutes left in the boil and followed this procedure.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ed-ale#slide-2
I am excited to see how it turns out, I imagine the blood oranges will add some good color.

Quick Reply