american two row pale substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am looking to make a Robust Porter and the clone I would like to do calls for american two row pale. The place in town I get my ingredients from does not sell this. Is there any common DME that makes a good subtitute like a plain amber or plain dark DME? Would that be fine?

:confused:

Are you an extract brewer or all-grain? American two-row pale malt is a base malt, if you're mashing grain for your fermentables. You'd sub in a different base malt (grain).

If you're using extract, a plain light DME or extra-light DME would be fine, but it's not a pound-for-pound substitution for the grain, you need to convert the recipe. What's the recipe?

What's the recipe, though? It's reading like an AG recipe, you don't usually talk about extract as "American 2-row pale malt," that's how you describe base malt.

I am looking to make a Robust Porter and the clone I would like to do calls for american two row pale. The place in town I get my ingredients from does not sell this. Is there any common DME that makes a good subtitute like a plain amber or plain dark DME? Would that be fine?

Assuming you are looking for a pale extract, you'll be fine with Light or Golden DME from a domestic maltster like Briess.
Extra Light/Ultralight DME is made from Pilsner malt. Amber/dark DME contains crystal and/or specialty malts.

Back