New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > american ipa extract recipe, tastes fruity, thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
4traindays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default american ipa extract recipe, tastes fruity, thoughts?

hello all, im new to home brewing, bought an extract kit from a store several weeks ago. american ipa kit, safale-05 yeast used. in primary for 7 days at 75 degree room temp, transferred to secondary, in there a total of 7 days as well. bottled 16 days ago, cracked one open and wow does it taste fruity! any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 21

the fermentation temp of was most likely to high and it produced some off flavors, I would bring the temp down to at least 65 next time. The easiest thing to do i place the fermenter in a tub of cold water and add frozen water bottles to help maintain the lower temp. then when fermentation is almost done let it rise to 70 to finish out

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 - House pale ale zythos
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - House Pale Ale
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Simcoe IPA, Cali Common, Snowshoe pale ale

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Its still a young beer. Give it time for the flavors to blend. I believe a slight citrus flavor in the finished product is expected for this beer...so a stronger citrus flavor would make sense in the unfinished beer. Someone with more experience can discuss possible off-flavors from your high fermentation temp.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3875 Times on 2830 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
the fermentation temp of was most likely to high and it produced some off flavors, I would bring the temp down to at least 65 next time. The easiest thing to do i place the fermenter in a tub of cold water and add frozen water bottles to help maintain the lower temp. then when fermentation is almost done let it rise to 70 to finish out
Yes, that's the most likely cause. If the fermentation temperature was 75, that would make a pretty fruity ale. If the room temperature was 75, the beer temperature was probably higher (maybe 80-85!), and that would make a very fruity tasting beer.

It's also possible that you used some "fruity" hops, as that is very common in IPAs. So some of the fruit flavor may be coming from the hops as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I would agree that you are getting esters from high ferm temp, mixed with the citrus of hops. Is it sweet also? It might not have been done fermenting and there are still sugars left over.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
4traindays
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, the room temp was one thing that I thought could be the culprit. It isn't sweet at all, just fruity, more like apricot. I used 1 oz chinook, 1 0z cascade, and 1 oz Amarillo throughout the boil. Will this fruitiness subside over time in the bottle? It isn't that bad tasting if it wasn't supposed to be an ipa, one would think it's an apricot pale!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
billl
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Amarillo definitely has a fruity side. It does fade over time, but an IPA is supposed to have hop flavor and aroma.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
4traindays
Recipes 

Will this beer get better in the bottle? Or are the fruit flavors something that will be a constant? Is it best to condition bottles at room temp or in the fridge? Some many questions, I know! Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you're using the primary only, I prefer 3-4 weeks total in the carboy. If you're using a secondary, you can do 1-2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary. The temp. is crucial in the first 5-7 days. You want it to be in the 60s for this style.

For an American IPA, I like the 62-68 F fermentation range... especially with the typical California Ale yeast. If your IPA already fermented at 75-80 F, then it will not get better. When this yeast is fermented at high temps, you get more fruit and less citrus. Some of that fruitiness will be from Amarillo, but most will be from fermenting high. So most likely, what you did is already done. The only betterment for an IPA would only be from a proper conditioning/carb time and temp which won't take away from the fruitiness per se. I would shoot for 17 days at 72-74 F before you put the bottles in the fridge.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Another thing that helps is leaving the beer in primary 3-4 weeks. Give the beer time to settle out clear or slightly misty. During this same time,it's getting rid of off flavors,which you have. So don't be in a big hurry to getit ready. Or taking the times in those instruction sheets to heart. They are wrong & only meant to sell more kits. You can't push beer,it works it's magic in it's own good time. Not ours.

Quick Reply