New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > American Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
addis29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default American Cream Ale fermenting?

I am new to the game, is there a good reason to secondary ferment this style beer or should I go from primary straight to bottle. If that is the case how long should I condition in primary before bottling. If secondary is useful I can do that just curious.

Last edited by addis29; 07-09-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This is a topic for debate. Many brewers never rack their beer to a secondary, no matter the style. Just as many do. I always rack my beer to a secondary unless I'm brewing a Hefeweizen. For me, I do it mainly so I can feel connected to my beer. Leaving it alone for several weeks is just too hard for me.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
KCStokes
Recipes 

The desire to be a part of the process, why should the yeast have all the fun?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have gone to secondary about 4 times. Most recently, one batch went in so I could let it hang out with some oak. And I have a flanders red that will stay in secondary for about 12 months.

Other than that, I leave it alone. I have not had any issues going straight to keg (or bottle when I was doing that sort of thing) and it is just fine.

Quick Reply