Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > American Amber Ale (aka my 2nd brew)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
JiveTurkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmartinez View Post
I've read around this site, though I don't post often, and many others. From all accounts, it certainly seems that if one is sanitary there isn't anything to be lost from racking to secondary. There may also not be much, if anything, gained from doing so. Since I have the equipment, which I was fortunate enough to come by for very near $free.99, I figure I'll try out all of the possibilities. The end result of all of them ought to be good beer.
From what I've gathered a major disadvantage to a secondary is that if you take the beer off the yeast cake prior to fermentation being complete, there may not be enough yeast left to fully attenuate. This risk can be pretty much eliminated by racking to secondary after fermentation is complete.

Feel free to use a secondary, just make sure the primary has done its job to completion.
Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
ajmartinez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
From what I've gathered a major disadvantage to a secondary is that if you take the beer off the yeast cake prior to fermentation being complete, there may not be enough yeast left to fully attenuate. This risk can be pretty much eliminated by racking to secondary after fermentation is complete.

Feel free to use a secondary, just make sure the primary has done its job to completion.
Right, and the amount of time (or attenuation) one ought to look for before deciding when to rack varies wildly from source to source. My LHBS' suggestion was OG - 30+%, I've seen it recommended here that one ought to be as close to the expected attenuation of the given yeast as possible, Papazian recommends a different value, as does Palmer.

1.055 to 1.009 is definitely at the upper range of the supposed capabilities of my yeast, and when I popped the lid off there was no krausen floating, so I think my racking was pretty well in line with the recommendations of all of the above. I'm definitely not a seasoned homebrewer by any stroke of the imagination, and I appreciate the input for sure. It gives me things to think about for future brews, of which there will be many.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
ajmartinez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
So did this come out as "Amber" as you expected? I feel like with the Light DME and 1 pound of Medium Crystal (Is that Crystal 60?) you might be at the very low end of the SRM scale for Amber.

I am planning a pretty similar batch for my 2nd brew and as I tweak the recipe I keep finding myself needing more color.
As promised, a photo to show the color of the beer. I'd say it looks pretty amber to me!

Final gravity was 1.007, so I'm standing at 6.3% ABV. The sample I took my gravity reading from tasted excellent. Hop character was evident, and blended very nicely with the malt flavors. One of my bottles didn't fill quite all the way before I ran out, and in about a week I'm going to have to pop that sucker open and see how it is. Just because I can.

Definitely brewing this one again.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks awesome.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1007 is pretty low for that style of beer. I would definitely be interested in how that turns out. Hope it tastes great!

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
ajmartinez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbar View Post
Looks awesome.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
1007 is pretty low for that style of beer. I would definitely be interested in how that turns out. Hope it tastes great!

Eric
Yeah it is pretty low. My fermentation went nuts, and I was below my target final gravity in just 4 days. So, as far as the style goes I'm way off. The taste, from the sample anyway, was great though. I'm really looking forward to cracking open one of the bottles in a week or so. I'm not even going to lie and claim I'll wait for it to condition even more in the bottle before I have to have a taste!

Quick Reply