Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ambient temps versus actual fermenting temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #21
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Here in Hawai`i I never have to worry about heating my fermenting beer. Just keeping it cool and so I have a freezer, top loading. I'll have to play w/the air temp and the liquid temp to see the differences, but you guys w/refridgerators, remember every time you open the door all that cool air flows out the bottom and is replaced by the air outside. At least in a chest freezer you don't let all your cold air out when lifting the top.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

looked at the temp guage just now...beer is at 57 degrees....went out to chec and the damned heater has quit again.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I cannot get this heater to come on.. hooked up a different one and it is running I don't get why tis keeps happening. the room is the size of a small closet and very well insulated. a small electric heater can run you out of it but this is the second one to just quit. I cannot get this one to come back on at all.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

What's the air temperature when it's shutting off? Does the heater have a thermostat? Just guessing, but it's possible the air temperature rises quickly, trips the thermostat, and shuts off the heater. If that's the case, the air temperature should drop while the fermenter temperature rises. Eventually the air will drop below the thermostat point and the heater should come back on. This should be fine, eventually you'll reach equilibrium where air temperature = beer temperature (ignoring any heating the yeast are doing to the beer).

But that's just a guess. Do the heaters come on if you take them out into a larger, cooler room?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
What's the air temperature when it's shutting off? Does the heater have a thermostat? Just guessing, but it's possible the air temperature rises quickly, trips the thermostat, and shuts off the heater. If that's the case, the air temperature should drop while the fermenter temperature rises. Eventually the air will drop below the thermostat point and the heater should come back on. This should be fine, eventually you'll reach equilibrium where air temperature = beer temperature (ignoring any heating the yeast are doing to the beer).

But that's just a guess. Do the heaters come on if you take them out into a larger, cooler room?
nope.. the one I took out this morning I set outside hooked to an extention cord and it took 2 hours before I could turn it back on ( may have been faster but I didn't continually try) i moved the heater to the floor rather than on a shelf I had built and it seems to be working better BUT The outside temp has risen a LOT so it isn't having to work often. I bought another remote sensor and am monitoring ambient and the beer temp from in here now....not sure that anything is working properly now........
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply