HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ambient temps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Ambient temps

I did a search and didn't find an exact match for my question:

If you cannot accurately measure the actual wort temperature, what is the ideal ambient temperature for a fermentation room? I have mine set at 58 degrees and am wondering if that is about right. The fermentation is going well but seems to be going on longer than I am used to ( BRITISH ALE 2 YEAST...never used this yeast strain before) so am I in the ball park?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

There is no ideal, because there are way too many factors in the fermentation process that are going to have an effect on temperature: size of the batch, pitch of the yeast, if it was healthy and active, what part of the fermentation is it in, shape of the fermenting vessel, etc.

But, 58 is low enough, in my opinion, that it is most likely making a damn good beer right now.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Fermentation temp can be as much as 10 degrees higher than ambient during busiest phase.

58 is good for the main phase, but eventually the beer will come down to ambient temp and that's pretty low. I would bump it up to 65 if you can.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
There is no ideal, because there are way too many factors in the fermentation process that are going to have an effect on temperature: size of the batch, pitch of the yeast, if it was healthy and active, what part of the fermentation is it in, shape of the fermenting vessel, etc.

But, 58 is low enough, in my opinion, that it is most likely making a damn good beer right now.
Agreed, and I'll add once the beer is pretty much done with fermentation, you can let it warm up to the 60's to finish up..the crucial time for ferm temp control is during its vigorous fermentation

And ed beat me...haha

Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post

My thinking was that by pitching when the wort was low 60's that I would get a nice take off and with the ambient at 58 it should ferment in the mid 60's which is good for most strains I use. And I hope you are correct about making a damn good beer because this is my kentucky bourbon barrel ale attempt.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Yeah, 58's not a bad starting point, depending on the yeast.

With some yeast it could delay the start and stall the finish, but be just right for the most active stage. You really have to adjust the ambient to keep your wort at the proper temperature for the phase of fermentation.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Fermentation temp can be as much as 10 degrees higher than ambient during busiest phase.

58 is good for the main phase, but eventually the beer will come down to ambient temp and that's pretty low. I would bump it up to 65 if you can.
Understood , but I may have several brews in different stages of fermentation in there at the same time. How do I manage that ?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

There are two easy ways to get an idea of the wort temperature instead of ambient temperature. One is to use a stick on liquid crystal strip thermometer. The other is to get a wired thermometer and tape the probe on the outside of the fermentor. Cover this with a towel or something to keep it from reading the air temperature.

I wouldn't try to figure out the wort temperature based on ambient.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Understood , but I may have several brews in different stages of fermentation in there at the same time. How do I manage that ?
Personally, I have a couple of old mini fridges, not one dedicated larger one and use taped on remote thermometer to determine wort temperature.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Very good points about raising the temperature during the end of fermentation to help the beer finish. Can be crucial for several English style strains, but I'm unfamiliar with British II. Can also be important to raise the temp to the higher 60s to clean up diacetyl, if present, but generally a cooler pitching temp helps prevent diacetyl before it gets to be a problem.

Quick Reply