Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ambient Temperature Range for Bottle Conditioning Ales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
xinunix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ambient Temperature Range for Bottle Conditioning Ales

I have a bunch of beer bottled at various stages of the conditioning process and I am wondering what temps I should be targeting.

I have an ale that spent 3.5 weeks in the primary and then went to bottle. I kept the bottles in my chest freezer with ambient at approx. 68/70 for the first 10 days. However I just brewed a batch tonight and had to put the primary back in the chest freezer and took the ambient temp back down to approx. 62 to maintain an ideal fermentation range. I am assuming that is too cold for the bottles at only 10 days old. My house stays around 73, will I be ok to have these finish the final 10 days at that temp or is that too warm?

I also have some bottles from older batches that I have had "in storage" for almost 2 months. I don't have room for all of the bottles + primary in the chest freezer.

So, should I
1) keep the 10 day batch at room temp (73) and leave the other older beers in the chest freezer at 62
2) move all bottles to room temp at 73
3) keep the 10 day batch in the chest freezer at 62 and store the older beers at room temp
4) go ahead and refrigerate all of the older beers and do one of the above with the 10 day bottles

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

73 is just peachy for carbonating a beer. I would put anything already properly carbonated cool and keep the ones that still need time out in the room.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

73 is fine for carbonating beer and you can keep it at the temperature as long as you like. I have about 8 cases bottled at my house right now but we only keep a 6 pack or 2 in the fridge at any time.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What Nurmey said. I didn't mean to say you have to put the ones that are done carbonating in the cooler. Just that if you have room for 'em in there, you can do that. Just keep the others out.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I'll be the opposing opinion...

If your beers are completely done (good carbonation, etc) and you've got the fridge space, storing them cold will greatly increase their shelf life as well as improve flavor and clarity via lagering. I love having my completed inventory cold - no pre-planning; just grab one and pour.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

??? I find beer to be best when aged at room temp for several months.. I don't keep them cold till I am ready to drink them, then let them chill for at least two days so the yeast packs to the bottom of the bottle. No problems yet and all the beers have tasted good.
I don't know about anyone else, but my SWMBO would smack my hands if I tried to put 8 six packs in the fridge.. Soon I will have a beer fridge, but right now.. Storing in the basement will have to do.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlylebrew View Post
??? I find beer to be best when aged at room temp for several months.. I don't keep them cold till I am ready to drink them, then let them chill for at least two days so the yeast packs to the bottom of the bottle. No problems yet and all the beers have tasted good.
I don't know about anyone else, but my SWMBO would smack my hands if I tried to put 8 six packs in the fridge.. Soon I will have a beer fridge, but right now.. Storing in the basement will have to do.
You are correct, it ages better at temperatures above fridge temps.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
You are correct, it ages better at temperatures above fridge temps.
Not necessarily. Otherwise, nobody would lager. Brew Strong did a show with head of the Brewing Science program at UC Davis, Dr. Charles Bamforth on HSA recently where he also discussed proper beer storage.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 6 Posts

I have a warm room in my house. It is cut off from the central air system and stays between 75 -85F. I warm condition for 1 week in there, then I move them to the closet in the hallway. It stays near 72F all year.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

personally i don't think there will be much difference no matter what option you choose. the 10 day old bottles will be fine in the cooler or at room temp.

70-72 is the temp i bottle condition at. Then I move them lower for storage. Storing around 50-60, or cellar temps, is great for long term storage. Room temp on most well made beers is more than ok for 6 or so months.

I wouldn't put a beer in a fridge until at least 3 weeks in bottle though, as you could retard the fermentation/carbonation and end up dropping yeast before it has eaten all the sugar. even if that happens, just warm it up a little and it should start again

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Quick Reply