Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Amarillo Pale Ale with Amarillo hops only

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
kyle6286
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Amarillo Pale Ale with Amarillo hops only

Hi everyone,

I went by my LHBS tonight and got a pale ale kit similar to the Amarillo Pale Ale on Midwest Supplies. I requested the hops be substituted for Amarillo because I've heard great things about them and I've never had them. I noticed the kit on Midwest uses a combination of .5oz of Columbus and 1.5oz of Amarillo, while mine uses three hop additions of Amarillo to total 2oz. Just wondering if this should be ok, or if I should get a second type of hop to add. I'm very excited to try this one. Everything I've read about Amarillo seems to be very good. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Yeah but i like columbus too, but its a good way to get to know hops individual character.I need to do this more. Ive only done it with centenial, turned out pretty nice, just make shure the hops you use are generally good for bitter/flavor/and aroma.In general stick to those guidelines,at least at first.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Columbus is typically used only as a bittering hop, while Amarillo is typically a only used as a flavor/aroma hop.

Your beer will be fine with the substition, but the bottom line is that you are replacing a high alpha acid bittering hop with a lower alpha acid flavor/aroma hop, so less bitterness in the beer. You'll basically taste the grain profile just a bit more prominantly than if you had used the Columbus to balance it out.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Columbus is typically used only as a bittering hop, while Amarillo is typically a only used as a flavor/aroma hop.

Your beer will be fine with the substition, but the bottom line is that you are replacing a high alpha acid bittering hop with a lower alpha acid flavor/aroma hop, so less bitterness in the beer. You'll basically taste the grain profile just a bit more prominantly than if you had used the Columbus to balance it out.
Good point, thanks for posting your thoughts.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post

Thanks for that. I think I'll modify it to include .5 oz of Columbus as well as 1.5 oz of Amarillo for a nice balance.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
Hi everyone,

I went by my LHBS tonight and got a pale ale kit similar to the Amarillo Pale Ale on Midwest Supplies. I requested the hops be substituted for Amarillo because I've heard great things about them and I've never had them. I noticed the kit on Midwest uses a combination of .5oz of Columbus and 1.5oz of Amarillo, while mine uses three hop additions of Amarillo to total 2oz. Just wondering if this should be ok, or if I should get a second type of hop to add. I'm very excited to try this one. Everything I've read about Amarillo seems to be very good. Thank you
I made an all-Amarillo IPA a couple of times and it was great. Going to make another with the rest of my Amarillo stock this weekend. I believe Rogue's Yellow Snow is an all-Amarillo recipe too.

-------------------
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
jwplessner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you want to make a comparison, try to get your hands on the Hill Farmstead Amarillo Pale. Amazing example of an all-amarillo beer, and it'll be fresh in your region if you can find it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make an all Amarillo IPA that comes out quite well. Just make sure you dry hop with those bad boys!

Quick Reply