Amarillo Pale Ale with Amarillo hops only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I went by my LHBS tonight and got a pale ale kit similar to the Amarillo Pale Ale on Midwest Supplies. I requested the hops be substituted for Amarillo because I've heard great things about them and I've never had them. I noticed the kit on Midwest uses a combination of .5oz of Columbus and 1.5oz of Amarillo, while mine uses three hop additions of Amarillo to total 2oz. Just wondering if this should be ok, or if I should get a second type of hop to add. I'm very excited to try this one. Everything I've read about Amarillo seems to be very good. Thank you

Yeah but i like columbus too, but its a good way to get to know hops individual character.I need to do this more. Ive only done it with centenial, turned out pretty nice, just make shure the hops you use are generally good for bitter/flavor/and aroma.In general stick to those guidelines,at least at first.

Columbus is typically used only as a bittering hop, while Amarillo is typically a only used as a flavor/aroma hop.

Your beer will be fine with the substition, but the bottom line is that you are replacing a high alpha acid bittering hop with a lower alpha acid flavor/aroma hop, so less bitterness in the beer. You'll basically taste the grain profile just a bit more prominantly than if you had used the Columbus to balance it out.

Columbus is typically used only as a bittering hop, while Amarillo is typically a only used as a flavor/aroma hop.

Your beer will be fine with the substition, but the bottom line is that you are replacing a high alpha acid bittering hop with a lower alpha acid flavor/aroma hop, so less bitterness in the beer. You'll basically taste the grain profile just a bit more prominantly than if you had used the Columbus to balance it out.

Good point, thanks for posting your thoughts.

Thanks for that. I think I'll modify it to include .5 oz of Columbus as well as 1.5 oz of Amarillo for a nice balance.

Hi everyone,

I went by my LHBS tonight and got a pale ale kit similar to the Amarillo Pale Ale on Midwest Supplies. I requested the hops be substituted for Amarillo because I've heard great things about them and I've never had them. I noticed the kit on Midwest uses a combination of .5oz of Columbus and 1.5oz of Amarillo, while mine uses three hop additions of Amarillo to total 2oz. Just wondering if this should be ok, or if I should get a second type of hop to add. I'm very excited to try this one. Everything I've read about Amarillo seems to be very good. Thank you

I made an all-Amarillo IPA a couple of times and it was great. Going to make another with the rest of my Amarillo stock this weekend. I believe Rogue's Yellow Snow is an all-Amarillo recipe too.

If you want to make a comparison, try to get your hands on the Hill Farmstead Amarillo Pale. Amazing example of an all-amarillo beer, and it'll be fresh in your region if you can find it.

I make an all Amarillo IPA that comes out quite well. Just make sure you dry hop with those bad boys!

Back