The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I an idiot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #21
Neomich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooraybeer!
Thats great news, thanks.

So in the future though... Im going to want to use sugar with one of those cans?
I think a lot of people on here would suggest you do NOT do this. Use two cans next time or do what JimC said and boil up another can and add that in there.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
Bromley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
I think a lot of people on here would suggest you do NOT do this. Use two cans next time or do what JimC said and boil up another can and add that in there.
Unless you're doing a belgian of some sort (in the interest of completely confusing the poor fella).

Next Up: American IPA, Bock, Belgian Blond Ale
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Bohemian Pilsener
Bottle Conditioning: Dragon's Milk (100% Maris Otter and Kent Goldings, 1.084) and subsequent small beer, Berliner Weisse
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Ale, Maibock, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Kolsch, The Bitter Truth, Altbier, Special Bitter, EF Clone

Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For future recipes, I'd agree with someone else's suggestion on using some of the store "kits." They are much less "kit-like" than the Cooper you used; really, they are less a kit than an ingredient list. Basically, the shop has put together a list of ingredients for a decent tried & tested beer, and when you order the kit they assemble those ingredients and ship it out.

A couple of other places to look, along with austinhomebrew.com, are morebeer.com and hoptech.com. At hoptech.com you can download the instructions for almost all of their kits (click "download area" under "Useful Information" on the left side of the page).

Rick

Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #24
TWilson
Recipes 

Quote:
Thats great news, thanks.

So in the future though... Im going to want to use sugar with one of those cans?

If you are making a 5 gallon batch with one 2.75lbs can and adding sugar, you aren't going to get a lot of flavor or body in your beer. Adding sugar to the fermentation increases ABV and lightens the body/mouthfeel of the beer. You will get a much better brew by using more DME/LME and forgetting about the sugar until bottling time. Check out Palmer's "How to Brew" or Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." Both books have recipes for all extract brews. If you are just starting out, buy a few kits and brew them to get the hang of the brewing process. Brewers Best kits are fine, or you can get good kits from Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest Supply, Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, etc. They all will make very drinkable beer that will be much better than the "can and a kilo" kit you appear to be using. You can also check out the extract recipes here for more options, but I would suggest that you get a good kit or two under you belt to get the process down before experimenting too much.

Last edited by TWilson; 01-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Where are you located? Any homebrew shops in the area?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
Hooraybeer!
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromley
Unless you're doing a belgian of some sort (in the interest of completely confusing the poor fella).

So the consensus here is to get another can of that stuff, boil it in a gallon of water and replace some of the already fermenting carboy? Any need to add more yeast...? The thing only came with one small 7gram package of yeast to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Where are you located? Any homebrew shops in the area?
I am in Boise, Idaho. Luckily there are a few local brewshops just full to the brim (was that a pun!?) with great stuff. I'll be stopping by one on my way home from work in a few hours.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

So the consensus here is to get another can of that stuff, boil it in a gallon of water and replace some of the already fermenting carboy? Any need to add more yeast...? The thing only came with one small 7gram package of yeast to begin with.
To save the first brew yes. You shouldn't need more yeast, the original yeast is still there and ready to work. You will probably need to swirl the brew around some to get them back into suspension.

Quote:
I am in Boise, Idaho. Luckily there are a few local brewshops just full to the brim (was that a pun!?) with great stuff. I'll be stopping by one on my way home from work in a few hours.
Personally I never did a kit brew, so I am going to vote that you start with recipes online and go to the brew shop and get extract, steeping grains, and hops. They usually have recipes there as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Its ether that, or 2.5% abv beer. No extra yeast needed. that 7gram package hundreds of billion yeast now mostly sitting in a slurry at the bottom of the fermenter.. plenty enough to do the job. You might want to look into a blowoff tube, because that second can of stuff is going to ferment hard and fast on the existing yeast cake.

The beer you pull out you can toss in your fridge for tomorrow (green, flat table beer.. but still beerish).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #29
Hooraybeer!
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
To save the first brew yes. You shouldn't need more yeast, the original yeast is still there and ready to work. You will probably need to swirl the brew around some to get them back into suspension.
There is about an inch of stuff on the bottom so far... I want to swirl that around after I drain and re-add? Do I need to get a can of the exact same stuff I used initially to re-add? (It was Coopers Stout) Or can I get funky and use a can of their Ale or Porter...? Or would that just be stupid...?

(Thanks for all this help everyone. I post regularly at several other similar forums and people here are by far the most responsive and civil. There doesnt seem to be any of that "screw the n00b" crap here. Its refreshing.)

Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #30
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
There is about an inch of stuff on the bottom so far... I want to swirl that around after I drain and re-add? Do I need to get a can of the exact same stuff I used initially to re-add? (It was Coopers Stout) Or can I get funky and use a can of their Ale or Porter...? Or would that just be stupid...?
Yes, swirl that around some. Try not to splash much, you don't need oxygen at this point since the yeast has finished its reproduction cycle. I would get a can of the same (or similar) stuff so you end up with a stout and not "some brown liquid that reminds me of beer". This is your first brew.. not time to experiment with style bending beer, IMHO.

Last edited by JimC; 01-04-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply